Nitro cold brew and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you suppose the nitrogen in your drink might get from your stomach into your bloodstream? There are no alveoli in the digestive tract.

All/most of our bodies tissues are capable of gas exchange, not just the alveoli. The difference between the stomach and lungs is not whether or not gas can permeate said tissue, it's efficiency, and gas exchange in the lungs is obviously much, much more efficient. Gas exchange in the stomach is still definitely possible though.

In case anyone missed it, there's considerably less nitrogen in beergas than there is in the air around you. So, perhaps to some small degree you will have less nitrogen in your body after drinking Guinness.

Maybe a good after-dive drink? I mean, after all, we want to be as safe as possible right? It's probably not measurable, so that puts it firmly into homeopathetic aka wishful thinking territory. Tech divers should bring a squeeze bottle of the stuff just to drink on the deco stop.

Write your agency and ask for it to be included in the next training update.

I am definitely not qualified to answer, but wouldn’t the gas get out of the liquid and you’d mostly burp it or it would just exit your body by any way?

Since you are already saturated at ambiant pressure and that the drink will not be at over 1 bar of pressure, I doubt any significant over saturation would happen? Even if it did you’d probably off gas it fairly quickly since you’d be oversaturated at 1 ATA?

Lets say you wanted to go for a dive and wanted a ton of energy. You decide to drink a liter of nitro cold brew immediately before descending. Nitrogen's solubility in water is about 20 mg/L and nitro cold brew is charged at a minimum of 3 bar (44.1 PSI) say 5 bar to be conservative. That is 100 mg (0.1 g) of N2, air has approximately 1 g of N2 per liter. At 33 fsw the gas density is doubled, so we are breathing 2g of N2 per liter and our NDL is >200 minutes. While this is not exact, we can say that drinking nitro cold brew could have an effect, but compared with N2 ongassing at depth it is negligible. My opinion is that you would have more issues from the caffeine than the dissolved N2.

Maybe if you are on the boat before the dive, drinking beers and hitting these.....you'll be in for a fun dive

1657295420933.png

Maybe if you are on the boat before the dive, drinking beers and hitting these.....you'll be in for a fun dive

View attachment 732342
Scubaboard llc does not condone or endorse said activities.

Thanks for your support.

Back
Top Bottom