NItrigen Narcosiss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dilligaf:
A good diver makes things routine, even when things could go completely astray. This is accomplished by recognizing problems before they occur, making correct decisions, using sound judgment, and using proper techniques to make situations easier. To me, it is as equally important as the gas we choose to use.

Unfortunately, there are far too few good instructors or instructors that can not only teach the “book” but also teach how to avoid potential problems and make all dives routine. So many divers end up learning far too many things the hard way. Gas mixes are an easy answer to reduce “panic situations”, but they are not a substitute for having the ability to instinctively recognizing and deal with problems… so there never is a “panic situation”.

Dave,

I have quoted your words here, because they are a nice concise statement of the "ideal" that we, as divers, strive for in our training and our diving.

I don't know if I agree with you about the "far too few" comment, because we have a lot of really good instructors available in the Tech ranks, but that's another discussion.

The training that we under-go in aviation, in the military, in tech diving courses, is all aimed at giving us the tools to respond in the correct manner when the fertilizer strikes the air-populsion machine. It keeps panic from clamping down on the brain, and gives us a rapid response capability.

Your words about "the choice of gas" are, however, very pertinent to this discussion, because even very experienced and capable divers have, at times, let hubris override common sense. They have chosen the wrong gas for the mission, and, as I said earlier:
ALAS, THEY ARE NO MAS!! :11:

Cheers!

Rob

Rob,

I certainly don’t disagree with what you are saying; I just believe that recognizing problems, good judgment, dealing with the environment, etc. are equally important in managing a dive as planning and dealing with narcosis. This is not to say one should dive deep air, but to know the proper gas to use and knowing how to deal with a dive and potential problems. Both, IMO, are equally important.

As for good instructors – I don’t know – I’ve seen very good instructors and very poor instructors. I’m sure you are much more familiar with instructor training than I am. I suppose ultimately the student must do their own due diligence in selecting an instructor. I will say this though (not that there isn’t) – I’ve never met a poor IANTD instructor.

Dave

MikeFerrara:
the most interesting studies that I've seen suggest that while we don't build up a tolerance we can to some extent learn to compensate when doing certain types of tasks. ... Kind of like learning to find your keys and unlock your front door while drunk. The first time it's pretty hard but a practiced drunk can let himself in the house without even having to think about it...or remembering that he did it.

I was once badly narced and couldn't remember most of the dive. But I had been down there, swimming about and breathing! I just bless my luck that I wasn't presented with a challenge or a problem to solve. It was a salutary experience and came at a time in my dive career when I thought I was a good diver (had just done Rescue Diver) but actually I was over confident and complacent. It scares the life out of me even now thinking about what might have been. And it's kind of weird reflecting that I had no conscious memory of what I was doing down there in the dark and cold at 105 feet!!

Always respect narcosis.

Back
Top Bottom