Nitek Q ,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFHodges

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am just starting my tech training and looking at different computers. I would love to get a shearwater but with all of the expenses just wanted to know about the Nitek Q.
Thanks

Hi JF!

I was lucky enough to grab 2 NitekQ computers for really cheap (some guy was liquidating) but I was also unlucky enough not to have the time to dive with either yet!

They did come very highly recommended especially for the price I got them for. Also, the nice guys at Dive Rite will unlock it for you for free or send you the unlock code if you can get WindowXP to work on your computer (I am using a virtual computer). Once unlocked, you will get many more features!

Try for a used one since they are still around 3-400 in the market. (I truly did luck out to get each one for around 83$...)

Most people here would say though that a Petrel/Perdix is unbeatable and well worth the investment! I also don't have the funds at the moment for one (nor do I dive enough to justify one).

Good luck!

Well, I've been using a Nitek Q for some time as a back up to my Shearwater Petrel 1. Can't say I'm disappointed : easy to use, reliable (so far), convenient. By nowadays standards, it may not be the best computer of course : single color screen, no menus as clear as on a Shearwater, put for the price (if you buy it 2nd hand or from DGX) I have absolutely no complains at all. Just need a film on the screen to protect it. Will be diving it next weekend :)

If you buy a fully unlocked one I think it can be a good choice despite a some less than stellar early reviews.

I have one and the computer is fairly solid both in terms of the hardware and the firmware.
The main complaint many people had early on with these computers was the frankly horrific experience the desktop software "Workbench" gave, many people had loads of problems with it.

If you get a fully unlocked Nitek Q you really don't need the Dive Rite Workbench software at all these days. That eliminates the main failing this computer had in my eyes.
I use 'Subsurface' to download my dive logs (cross platform and free) and I believe 'Diving Log 6.0' will also download from this computer. Subsurface is a much superior logbook program compared to Workbench anyway.

The Nitek Q is clearly not as good as the Petrel/Perdix but still offers Buhlman ZLH16 with Gradient Factors and multiple gasses at a much lower cost. You will want to learn how to set the GF settings safely but this applies equally to the Petrel also.
I find the interface quite straightforward and only really had to read the manual as a precaution against overt stupidity on my part.

The display is very readable in all but direct sun on the surface, though it does seem to flicker when your wrist is moving out of the corner of your eye. Overall I find it much more readable than LCD.

My only concern with the hardware is the integrity of the cap for the USB recharging/data port. So far I've had no issues but I always treat opening and resealing the plug with the utmost respect and care.

Priced at US$399 vs US$849 for a Perdix means it is actually a pretty good deal if you don't need all the extras the Shearwater computers offer.

I also had a very good experience when contacting Dive Rite to have the GF on my Nitek Q unlocked. The Support team were prompt and helpful via email to Australia.

I second @bergersau that the guys at Dive Rite are awesome! They also helped with my remote unlocking :wink:

As for workbench, I have it on my virtual XP computer and it is a bit of a drag but I did set my computer much faster than going through all the menus myself...

Good luck mate :)

I have had mine for a couple of years and I use it along with my old Dive Rite NiTek.... I like it.... The battery charge holds up well.... And as mentioned the tech support is good.... Have not used the Trimix capabilities, but use it mainly with air and Nitrox down to 55 meters....

I second @bergersau that the guys at Dive Rite are awesome! They also helped with my remote unlocking :wink:

As for workbench, I have it on my virtual XP computer and it is a bit of a drag but I did set my computer much faster than going through all the menus myself...

Good luck mate :)

Workbench does work on Windows 7 also.
I've also got workbench running successfully under WINE on Linux, but WINE doesn't handle USB connections very well and I have yet to properly sort that out.

Now my Nitek Q is fully unlocked - I don't bother with workbench. I'll keep it around just in case of a firmware update or similar, but otherwise I much prefer Subsurface for logging.

AFAIK, it penalizes omitted deco with a lock out which was a no go for me.

Great service from diverite, they helped me couples year's ago with my 15 year's old nitek. Less than 24 hours reply first e-mail....Can't say the same with hollis..1 year old puter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom