Ningaloo - shrimpfest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It's been shrimp everywhere the last few dives! So I thought a little collection would be fun. These are not all of the different species of shrimp I saw, but it's a good start...

Today, a site we don't dive very often and a very cool anemone with two of these guys
shrimpie_02.jpg

Bubble coral shrimp are on several dive sites, sometimes they aren't cooperative, but this one, though upside down, at least posed for a nano-second!
shrimpie_03.jpg

Our happy pair of harlequin shrimp are now discussing things over a red sea star instead of a blue one
shrimpie_07.jpg

All of the following shrimp are in a single hole. All I had to do was move my camera from side to side, I did no swimming or otherwise moving around...this is a very cool hole and there are two types of shrimp in it that I did not bother to photograph!

Funky
shrimpie_06.jpg

Racing stripes
shrimpie_04.jpg

Spiky
shrimpie_05.jpg

Vicious - look at those nippers lol
shrimpie_01.jpg

I had the 100 on and couldn't back up farther than this or all of the millions of baitfish charged in front of the lens - hingeback shrimp on wobbie's head
wobbieshrimpie.jpg

And this little bizarre guy that I haven't identified was tucked down in a very small fan on a different site
newguy_02.jpg

So nine species here and at least two more that I didn't take photos of (who knew I'd have such a collection?!). Pretty cool...

Wow, awesome photos Alcina!!!

Beautiful! I love shrimps.... in front of my camera or on my dinner plate.....

It's been shrimp everywhere the last few dives! So I thought a little collection would be fun. These are not all of the different species of shrimp I saw, but it's a good start...

Today, a site we don't dive very often and a very cool anemone with two of these guys
shrimpie_02.jpg

Bubble coral shrimp are on several dive sites, sometimes they aren't cooperative, but this one, though upside down, at least posed for a nano-second!
shrimpie_03.jpg

Our happy pair of harlequin shrimp are now discussing things over a red sea star instead of a blue one
shrimpie_07.jpg

All of the following shrimp are in a single hole. All I had to do was move my camera from side to side, I did no swimming or otherwise moving around...this is a very cool hole and there are two types of shrimp in it that I did not bother to photograph!

Funky
shrimpie_06.jpg

Racing stripes
shrimpie_04.jpg

Spiky
shrimpie_05.jpg

Vicious - look at those nippers lol
shrimpie_01.jpg

I had the 100 on and couldn't back up farther than this or all of the millions of baitfish charged in front of the lens - hingeback shrimp on wobbie's head
wobbieshrimpie.jpg

And this little bizarre guy that I haven't identified was tucked down in a very small fan on a different site
newguy_02.jpg

So nine species here and at least two more that I didn't take photos of (who knew I'd have such a collection?!). Pretty cool...

Your work is excellent.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

I also see you are using your new logo that previewed on ScubaBoard.

Absolutely stunning !!!! Like the framing and logo too.
Wish we had shrimps like that over here.

Just curious to know why you shoot at ISO 200? Not criticising, just wondering.

Forgot my little mantis that I flew over just before he darted into his hole!
mantis_01.jpg

Just curious to know why you shoot at ISO 200?
Hehehe - I didn't know anyone actually looked at EXIF, I don't even know how to do it with images on the web!

I'll happily shoot pretty much any ISO with the 40D as there's little difference in the files if they are properly exposed. I think I had some yesterday at 500. My guess in this instance is that I moved to 200 when I was shooting way back into a cave earlier in the dive, just to give myself a little more exposure, then didn't give it another thought.

They're all beautiful, and it's fascinating to see how many kinds there were, but the bubble shrimp picture is truly exquisite.

Very Nice Kristin....got my first bubble shrimp two weeks ago. Still going through all the pics and will post later. They're so cool.

Back
Top Bottom