Ningaloo - July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alc16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello

I've just finished a couple of months work in Perth and am about to resume on my drive around Oz (I started in Sydney back in Feb - driving clockwise). I'm absolutely stoked about heading north along the coast towards the Ningaloo Reef (coral bay & exmouth) but am wondering what kind of weather I can expect around this time of year?

I'm unsure of how long to stay in the area so any rough estimations on how much diving will cost for say 5 days (2 per day)? I'll probably camp to save on the accom costs provided the weather is up to it.

Also undecided on whether to do Coral Bay or Exmouth (or both?!)?

Hope you can help
Cheers
Al.

First, do both. Very diverse reef structures etc. At least one day of diving in Coral Bay. At least one day reef diving in Exmouth plus the Whale Sharks - yes, they are still here!

Mantas are abundant from both areas at the moment so grab a tour at either location. Humpies are also cruising along.

Prices will vary as will the quality of service and dives/tours, of course. There are several operators in Exmouth. Only one full service shop in Coral Bay that can do everything but a couple of choices to do the Mantas.

Weather over past few days has been overcast and drizzly. Water on the West Side from Exmouth has been stunningly blue, no swell and filled with marine life. Top of the Cape and Gulf haven't been as beautiful, but still plenty diveable.

PM for more specific info if you want. You'll have a great time up here - I know I can't get enough!!

Alcina

Thanks for this information - very useful. Cheers! Sounds like the weather could do with a kick up the butt.....glorious sunshine here in Perth this past week. if the whale sharks hang around for a couple of more weeks then i'll be happy!

Cheers!

hi Alcina

I am thinking of heading towards Ningaloo in early Oct 04. Flying into Perth from Hong Kong and probably driving up there. Looking for some advise to plan my trip:
1) how's the water temp, visibility & probability of whale shark sightings in early Oct 04?
2) I am reading your trip report ... is there any liveaboard around Ningaloo?
3) How many days would it take to do diving at both Coral Bay & Exmouth
4) Any dive centres offering open water in these locations

I could possibly have 10 days in total from Perth->Ningaloo->Perth. Travelling with my wife (diver) & sister-in-law's family of 4 (non-diver except brother in law). My wife & I would really just want to have a whale-shark encounter.

Any other recommendations / advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Boon Cheow

Back
Top Bottom