Nikon Z9/Z8 vs Nikon DSLR for underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,
I am giving an online talk / Q&A May 25th about this topic:
With the Z8 just announced, which is meant to perform the same as the Z9 in all areas but battery life, I thought this may be of interest to Nikon underwater shooters.

You can access the event for free, while you're on a 7-days trial with The Underwater Club (need to start it before the event): The Underwater Club

Hope to see you there,
Nicolas

Hi again,
For this online talk, I was joined by co-panelists Bill Gladstone and Yazid Shaari, and we had a good 95 minutes discussion comparing the Z9 / D850 / D500 for underwater photography.

Bill has been a long-time D850 shooter, but he sees the camera’s limitations, especially in murky conditions, and was keen to find-out how different the experience might be, with modern mirrorless camera, with particular interest in the Z8 (which shares a lot with the Z9).
Yazid has upgraded from a D850 to a Z9 over a year ago, and was able to share a long-term view on this camera’s performance underwater.

We've covered the 11 questions which I had received beforehand, we discussed some of the pros & cons I noted for my upcoming review, jumping in between Lightroom and the Whiteboard.

The recording is available to re-watch until June 29th for members of The Underwater Club, which is easy to join here: The Underwater Club

Attachments

• Webinar-Fireside-4-Bill-AFvsD850 smaller.jpg
    Webinar-Fireside-4-Bill-AFvsD850 smaller.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Webinar-Fireside-8-ExtraReviewNotes3 smaller.jpg
    Webinar-Fireside-8-ExtraReviewNotes3 smaller.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 90
Interesting! Its been ten years since I bought my trusty Canon 7D so it is probably time I upgraded. Are there many aftermarket lenses for the Z8 or is it pretty much Nikkor only?

Interesting! Its been ten years since I bought my trusty Canon 7D so it is probably time I upgraded. Are there many aftermarket lenses for the Z8 or is it pretty much Nikkor only?
A few exotic manual-focus lenses, but Nikon has started working with Tamron - the Nikkor 28-75mm lens is a re-branded Tamron model.

I believe that Nikon gave Tamron, and perhaps another len mfg. license to make lenses for Nikon cameras to sell direct to Nikon owners too. Nikon is trying very hard to expand the user base for their mirrorless cameras.

I have recently returned from a scientific trip where I was using a Nikon Z7 II.

The company I was working with supplied the camera along with the new series 105mm micro lens for the Z series cameras. All photography was above water, but I was taking photos of invertebrates in (semi) controlled conditions.

One of the other photographers was shooting with a Z8 and we had similar conclusions about the Z series cameras.

1. Looking through the viewfinder we both both found that the image always looked overexposed and difficult to focus on small subjects that had a lighter or white colouration.

2. Again looking through the viewfinder, you can't see anything until the shutter button is lightly pressed, and being used to normal SLRs I found this a bit annoying especially trying to find and focus on a small 5mm mantis shrimp in a scientific photo tank.

For non-macro subjects the camera was pretty good, but for the task I was doing it didn't really work as many of the subjects were too small. I hope they provide a microscope with a camera attachment the next time for anything under 10mm.

And oh boy does it eat through batteries, three battery changes in one day!

I have recently returned from a scientific trip where I was using a Nikon Z7 II.

The company I was working with supplied the camera along with the new series 105mm micro lens for the Z series cameras. All photography was above water, but I was taking photos of invertebrates in (semi) controlled conditions.

One of the other photographers was shooting with a Z8 and we had similar conclusions about the Z series cameras.

1. Looking through the viewfinder we both both found that the image always looked overexposed and difficult to focus on small subjects that had a lighter or white colouration.

2. Again looking through the viewfinder, you can't see anything until the shutter button is lightly pressed, and being used to normal SLRs I found this a bit annoying especially trying to find and focus on a small 5mm mantis shrimp in a scientific photo tank.

For non-macro subjects the camera was pretty good, but for the task I was doing it didn't really work as many of the subjects were too small. I hope they provide a microscope with a camera attachment the next time for anything under 10mm.

And oh boy does it eat through batteries, three battery changes in one day!
Hi Searcaigh,
Regarding #1, I was surprised too by how bright the image reviews appeared in the EVF. For that reason, I run it at "-3" by day and "low 1" during night dives. Here the EVF section of my comprehensive Z9 review: Nikon Z9 review part 3: Viewfinder Experience

Hi Searcaigh,
Regarding #1, I was surprised too by how bright the image reviews appeared in the EVF. For that reason, I run it at "-3" by day and "low 1" during night dives. Here the EVF section of my comprehensive Z9 review: Nikon Z9 review part 3: Viewfinder Experience

Your reviews are awesome, can't wait for the update. Thank you!

Alex Mustard recently posted a superb video about using the Z8 underwater. Here's the link. It was really helpful and informative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom