Nikon Z7ii & Z6ii Cameras' Focusing Speed for U/W Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The criticism I have read from underwater photographers concerning the Z7ii and Z6ii cameras has to do with the focusing speeds of these two cameras vs. offerings from Canon and Sony. These photographers claim that the focusing speeds of the two Z cameras is less optimal than the Canon R5 and the latest offerings from Sony.

Those of you who have used either of these two Nikon Z cameras (Z7ii/Z6ii), how true is this claim and is the lack of the focusing speed as claimed by these reviewers a true factor in underwater photography for you that have used these two cameras for U/W photography?

I don't know but on land my Z6ii is just fantastic. Perhaps they are not using the correct focusing modes. There are many and could be complex unless well understood.
Sorry but not much help.

I really have nothing negative to say about it, I've used it pretty extensively at this point and I'm very, very happy with the setup overall. I don't think I've ever found myself wishing the focus was better or missing focus.

Below is Z6II w/ Nikkorr 8-15 fisheye lens on the Lusitania @ 290 fsw -- no ambient, water was very dirty and no problems at allwith focus locking or focus hunting

i-m2knktm-X2.jpg

Enjoyed seeing the Lusitania image above.
I've been using my Z7 professionally on various film sets above water in low light, smoke, action/fighting, etc., with great results pushing to higher ASA/ISOs. I plan on getting the Z7II along with a Nauticam housing. I've been using my D800 and Aquatica housing for years underwater.
I received an email from Nikon this week about the upcoming Z9, and will consider that as well.

Here is a pretty comprehensive review that goes into detail about focus. TLDR; is that the latest Sony and Cannon models handle some focus modes better, but that the Nikon Z is still quite good.

I received an email from Nikon this week about the upcoming Z9, and will consider that as well.

I have been waiting for this camera just to see what new technology and features it will bring. If you get it, please do write a review of the camera.

I have been waiting for this camera just to see what new technology and features it will bring. If you get it, please do write a review of the camera.
I think it will be pretty awesome, but I've also heard the body price is supposed to cost 6K which puts it far out of range for most people.

I think it will be pretty awesome, but I've also heard the body price is supposed to cost 6K which puts it far out of range for most people.

That is true but I'd think they will have "deals" and also it may drive the price down for other lessor models, Z7ii, perhaps. There will also be other models coming up to fill the gap. The current models, Z7ii and Z6ii, will probably get upgrades too. The possibilities are just too exciting :)

I have been diving with a Nikon D800 in a Nauticam housing. It was a nice camera and worked well for me.

I just came back from diving with a Z7II in a Nauticam housing. It worked fine. I set it on Continuous Focus usually on single spot mode. Sometimes I shot in the single spot mode with the adjacent pixels for something like a small moving fish.

Now the viewfinder was much brighter than my D800 in low light. Sometimes, the focus did not come out so well. It focused well and locked on with higher contrast subjects and I think under better lighting. I should have used my focus light more. That being said, it focused as fast or faster than the D800. I have not tried Canon or Sony cameras.

I think the lighting is the real issue. It focused well on a tiny fast moving juvenile French angel (Yellow and black). And it focused well on some squid (It was reasonably bright).

I understand that the Z7II outperforms anything for color and dynamic range (except for the Z9) using ISO 64. You could use IS64 pretty well for macro photography.

Now on major reviews that I have seen, I think Sony is the preferred camera because of its performance in movie mode for color resolution. If you are a still photographer that really is not an issue. I also understand that the Z9 has faster focus but it is considerably more expensive and I think is made primarily for sports photographers (And people with money to burn.

I have seen you tube videos on the Z7II for photographing birds in flight and most reviewers think it works just fine. Landscape photographers think it might be the best camera out there (I think for the color and dynamic range at ISO 64.

If you are getting a high end system and just starting, you may want something else. But I have an array of lenses so buying the camera and housing and I was set with my old Nikon F lenses.

And unless you are primarily a movie shooter, this camera is a solid performer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom