Nikon Z7ii & Z6ii Cameras' Focusing Speed for U/W Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The criticism I have read from underwater photographers concerning the Z7ii and Z6ii cameras has to do with the focusing speeds of these two cameras vs. offerings from Canon and Sony. These photographers claim that the focusing speeds of the two Z cameras is less optimal than the Canon R5 and the latest offerings from Sony.

Those of you who have used either of these two Nikon Z cameras (Z7ii/Z6ii), how true is this claim and is the lack of the focusing speed as claimed by these reviewers a true factor in underwater photography for you that have used these two cameras for U/W photography?

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I don't know but on land my Z6ii is just fantastic. Perhaps they are not using the correct focusing modes. There are many and could be complex unless well understood.
Sorry but not much help.

tbone1004

Technical Instructor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm shooting a Z6II albeit not underwater and it's AF is great, but the R5 is a beast. It all depends on what you're trying to shoot, but it's still going to be really bloody good.

njdiverjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really have nothing negative to say about it, I've used it pretty extensively at this point and I'm very, very happy with the setup overall. I don't think I've ever found myself wishing the focus was better or missing focus.

Below is Z6II w/ Nikkorr 8-15 fisheye lens on the Lusitania @ 290 fsw -- no ambient, water was very dirty and no problems at allwith focus locking or focus hunting

i-m2knktm-X2.jpg

Gene

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Enjoyed seeing the Lusitania image above.
I've been using my Z7 professionally on various film sets above water in low light, smoke, action/fighting, etc., with great results pushing to higher ASA/ISOs. I plan on getting the Z7II along with a Nauticam housing. I've been using my D800 and Aquatica housing for years underwater.
I received an email from Nikon this week about the upcoming Z9, and will consider that as well.

davehicks

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here is a pretty comprehensive review that goes into detail about focus. TLDR; is that the latest Sony and Cannon models handle some focus modes better, but that the Nikon Z is still quite good.

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I received an email from Nikon this week about the upcoming Z9, and will consider that as well.

I have been waiting for this camera just to see what new technology and features it will bring. If you get it, please do write a review of the camera.

njdiverjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been waiting for this camera just to see what new technology and features it will bring. If you get it, please do write a review of the camera.
I think it will be pretty awesome, but I've also heard the body price is supposed to cost 6K which puts it far out of range for most people.

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I think it will be pretty awesome, but I've also heard the body price is supposed to cost 6K which puts it far out of range for most people.

That is true but I'd think they will have "deals" and also it may drive the price down for other lessor models, Z7ii, perhaps. There will also be other models coming up to fill the gap. The current models, Z7ii and Z6ii, will probably get upgrades too. The possibilities are just too exciting :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Top Bottom