Nikon Z line up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you saying that you are using video lights to take still photos instead of using strobes?

Yes that's right -- as you know NJ diving typically doesn't have much ambient light at depth. It doesn't overwhelm the video lights at depth and I find they are easier to quickly get feedback from their positioning.

I used to shoot with a Nikon D800 in a Nauticam housing. I just switched to a D7II in a Nauticam housing. Mirrorless cameras with their larger diameter for fitting the lens apparently have an advantage over DSLR cameras. I have a couple of z lenses. With a Z lens, Nikon can do one of two things. Either make a much lighter lens that performs comparably with an F lens or have a lens of equal weight that outperforms the F lens. Also with the antivibration in the camera, you can shoot at lower shutter speeds.

Remember, in underwater photography, the big cost is the housing and ports and strobes. I initially shot with an Ike housing but I had to send it back to get tuned because it went out of whack. The Ike system is a bit less expensive but not that much (when you add everything up). I really, really like my Nauticam housing.

With the D7II, I have a full frame camera. But my camera, lenses, strobes, ports and housing weighs a fair bit. I have a friend who has an old Olympus mirrorless camera and his system is far more compact and lighter.

The thing is do you do the shooting where you actually need a full frame camera? Unless you are doing large enlargements, you can probably go with a crop sensor or even a smaller format. A good crop sensor camera will still give you very nice images and if you use that, you can use that funky Tokina 10-17 lens which is a blast.

Now I love my full frame camera but for most stuff it is probably overkill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom