Nikon, Oly, or Canon Which P&Shoot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone that has commented on my inquiry! You have given me much to consider and I apprecitate your time in responding.

Some of you have remarked that I haven't stated my main objectives. They would be:
1. easy enough to carry (for land use) that it's NOT getting in the way

2. would prefer it use CF storage media.......... but would still consider changing (I already have CF cards)

3. don't want it to be incredibly complicated to use ..... but would like it to take excellent pictures U/W. I've hauled bags of camera equipment around years ago when I was heavy into film AND now, have no desire for photography to become that burdensome again.

That's about it.

Pat

herman:
If you intend to use it UW, I would suggest you reconsider getting a P&S. As a suggestion look at the Oly C-765. It

Of the OLY's out there, that is not what I'd choose for UW. The zoom maybe nice on land, but on the Wide side it's rather lacking. The three Oly's IMO that are most worth considering are the 5060, 7070, and 8080. IMO the 8080 is likely the best with the highest quality optics and very fast shooting speed, however the jury is out on the 7070 as it has focus tracking, and is too new to have much in the way of reliable reviews.

scubajunkee:
ISince buying my Canon S40, I've been real happy, except for the camera's battery life. It lasts for about 80 minutes and then dies. Most of my dives are about 50 minutes and during the 2nd dive, I lose the camera halfway through. I'm definitely picking up another battery for the 2nd and consequent dives. Just last month I picked up the Inon D2000 strobe, Inon wide-angle lens, & Inon macro lens. Also, got the Ultralight arms and tray. Those pieces total were just under $1800. For sample shots, check out my photo gallery.

Hope this helps,

Ericson

Check out the DPReview review on the S40. The camera was sold starting in 2001, so it's VERY likely your battery is rather dead. You SHOULD get AT LEAST 2 hours of use out of this. That is based on DPReview tests, and they shoot continuously when testing.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons40/page10.asp

Get a new battery!! There are some REAL inexpensive vendors out there (look on EBAY) the more MAH power the longer it will last, and there are quite a few third party manufactures that make beefed up batteries.

Don't worry about if it says Canon on the battery or not. Canon batteries are likey not made by Canon in the first place. I've seen higher power batteries for my S70 (about to purchase a backup battery) selling for under $10 + shipping. Canon sells theirs for $50 (B&H), what a rip....

Good Luck

RonFrank:
Of the OLY's out there, that is not what I'd choose for UW. The zoom maybe nice on land, but on the Wide side it's rather lacking. The three Oly's IMO that are most worth considering are the 5060, 7070, and 8080. IMO the 8080 is likely the best with the highest quality optics and very fast shooting speed, however the jury is out on the 7070 as it has focus tracking, and is too new to have much in the way of reliable reviews.

All true and I agree ( I own a 5050) but given the budget restrictions and assuming he my also want to use it on land (my assumption) as an only digital camera then taking things like zoom into consideration is important. Sometimes we have to accept less than optimal performance in one area to improve performance in another. My suggestion was based on price, keeping in mind that the camera may need to be as versitile as possible.

jp_bowers:
3. don't want it to be incredibly complicated to use ..... but would like it to take excellent pictures U/W. I've hauled bags of camera equipment around years ago when I was heavy into film AND now, have no desire for photography to become that burdensome again

Pat

You may have to back down on the "take excellent pictures U/W. " to something like "acceptable pictures U/W. ". "excellent" is really going to require an extrnal strobe, or two. And then there you are with a large pelican case filled with complex gear) The problem is that UW if the light source is close to the lens it will light up backscatter. With the internal strobe you are limited to subject that are very close the the lens or the taking photos in shallow water where the sunlight is still bright.

I think my Canon A80 does acceptable work. has battery life that will last a full weekend. It does well enough on land. but will never compete with the bigger Oly. camera and _certainly_ not with a DSLR Canon makes an S, A and G series. THe S is aimed at "point and shoters" the "G" at "real photographers" and the A is something between. The Oly 5050, 8080 and the like are much like the Canon G5 camera. If you do ever wan the strobes you should think now about a camera with good manual controls (One where the f-stop icontrol is not three layers down in the menus) Butit soulds like you want a self-contained camera that will work UW on the "auto" setting

All that said, Have you looked at the Sealife Reefmaster DC310?
Basic model is $380 but the "pro kit" includes a strobe and is only $570
The camera has wet changable lenses
it's only 3MP but that's good enough
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/sl145.html

After reading your needs, I'd put my vote in once again for the Canon A series.

Just got back from visiting a friend who is using the A70 with no external strobe and he has several of his land and underwater shots printed and matted at 13" - they look wonderful.

From what I've heard, the A95 is great.

alcina:

Just got back from visiting a friend who is using the A70 with no external strobe and he has several of his land and underwater shots printed and matted at 13" - they look wonderful.

Although I also use an Oly 5050, PT-015 and Inon Strobe, I have to agree with alcina. For the best compromise between small size, land use, and sub-$500 budget, I think the A95 would be the camera I would choose if I was starting out. I recently made this recommendation to a buddy based on almost the same criteria you described.

alcina:

Mine's the A80. All the the camera can fo great work if used within thier limitation. The difference between the cameras is that as you spend more money they becaome less limiting. For example, in clear water, shallow depths and bright sunlight any camera will produce great results that will be clear, colorfull and sharp. As the visabillity closes down and the ambient light gets dimmer or the depth increases then you need more and more sophisticated equipment and technique.

So of course you can find example of great photos taken with any camera, But look and I doubt you will find example of great wide angle night photos of reefs taken with my A80 using the internal strobe. IT wouldn't work so I don't try. At night I can get decent close up (18 to 24 inches) shots of the critters that live on the bootm at my local beach. So don't worry they ALL take great photos but just under a different range of condidtins

So don't worry if people (like me) have suggested you need al kinds of expensive equipment. You will want this only of you want to expand the range of possible photographic subjects.

Thanks to everyone's responses I have narrowed my choice down to the OLY C770 (or the latest and greatest: the C-775) or the Canon A95.

What do you think about these two and which would you pick?

Thanks............. !!!!!

Canon A95.

I am sure the Oly is a great camera. I've only used other Olys (not the 5050) twice. Each time I found they were harder to get good results from than any Canon I have picked up. Perhaps familiarity, perhaps something that simply suits my needs better.

I am also in the enviable position of getting to see a ton of different cameras come through each week with a wide variety of skill levels behind the unit. Canon still wins for image quality from most shooters - FWIW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom