Nikon Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wizard1325

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok guys I purchased a D300S camera

now I need help with lenses to get
I wanna buy 3 and only 3 differnt type

what do you recommend i should get?

1. Fisheye lense 10.5 I am definnally buying that one

as for the other 2 I wanna get a Macro Lense
which is the best that Money can buy from Nikon line
I should be looking at? I wanna take real close up pics
of fish and plant life.

the last lense I want is probbably a wide angle lense
what do you think i should get

thanks again for all your help
cheers

O and for poop and giggles
whats the best portrait lense to get?
like for close up face and family groups

thanks you

wizard1325,
the standard setup for uw-photography is as follows:
Tokina 11-17mm or Nikon 10-24mm
Nikkor Micro 60mm or 105mm depending on your dive contitions

For topside use i would suggest the excellent AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200 mm 1:3,5-5,6G ED VR II or the AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED (3.6x) covering most situations you will encounter.
When you are a able and experienced photographer the extrem small but vesatile AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G will be a lightwight partner to your D300S and give you somem memories of the old 50mm fixfocus cameras.

Chris

Last edited:
These lenses are quit popular with people here and are widely used in underwater photography.

Wide Angle Zoom - AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED

Macro - AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED

Some people find the 105mm macro a little difficult to use. The AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED is also a very good macro lens. I have all these lenses, as well as the 10.5 mm fisheye and am very happy with them all.

If you are going to shoot underwater video, these lenses are not the greatest unless to are firmly planted to minimize vibration.

I have heard some good things about Nikon's new AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR, but don't have any firsthand experience.

ok doing research now =0)

I am about the same as HerraduraDiver except for I prefer the Tokina 10-17mm over the Nikkor 10.5 fisheye.

Macro again the same. 60mm or 105mm depending what your shooting. I personally use my 60mm 90% of the time and the 60mm Macro makes a beautiful portait lens on land.

Another nice general purpose lens is the Sigma 17-70 macro. Its not as good as a dedicated wide angle like the 10-17 Tokina or dedicated macro like the 60 or 105 but it fills in the gap nicely for everything else in between.

Topside again the 18-200 Nikkor VR is awesome with such a broad zoom range.

Regards Mark

I love shooting portraits and use the Nikon 16-85 VR as my walkaround lens. It's tack sharp and gets me to the portrait range equivalent (with the crop factor of the Nikon DSLRs).

For birding, the 18-200VR was too short a range. So, I invested in the Nikon 70 - 300 VR II lens. It's really been a great lens - tack sharp even shooting from a canoe!

Now, I just need to find an affordable housing (and ports) so I can take the D80 underwater.

Laura

Macro 105VR
10-24 Wide Angle
50/1.8D or 50/1.4G or 35/1.8D (you can't go wrong with any)
later on think about the 70-200/VR II...

errrr more and more research to do yikes!!!!

Tokina 10-17mm over the Nikkor 10.5 fisheye wish we can put a vote on this one? Which is better now im getting conflicting report =0(

Macro 60mm or 105mm what is the differnce? I mean what does the 105 meant to shoot for and the 60mm shoot for underwater... See what i want in a macro lense is for flower photos on land
super clear and exetremly detailed.. and for underwater just a close up shoot of the fishy face =)

please advice

I have both the Nikon 60 and 105 (older, non USM version). Adm. Linda
has the USM versions of both. If I were to have just one, on a crop sensor
camera, it would be the 60 in order to eliminate as much water as possible
between the camera and the subject. That said, Linda took this with the
105 in Monterey: http://www.ncups.org/sea/SEA2009/california/index.html
before availability of the 60 mm USM.

Back
Top Bottom