Nikon DSLR for a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30:
D70s is a very capable camera and its sensor is definitely good enough for a magazine cover so it is definitely good enough for most people. However, D200 and D2X will give you better AF system, more features/options that may or may not be helpful underwater. However, because once you buy housing, ports, strobes, lenses, the price difference between D50, D70s and D200 will not seem that huge so I would consider getting the best camera that you can afford. Most underwater photographers don't upgrade as often as land photographers just because the housing costs just as much if not more than the body in most cases. So buy it once and make sure that it will most likely be good enough for your need as long as possible.
Personally I think D200 probably has the best value for the money. Another thing to consider, D200 viewfinder is significantly better than D70s so that is also quite helpful underwater.
As a beginner - switching to DSLR I went with the D200 for exactly those reasons. The D70 is a great camera, my partner owns one and she gets great pictures with it. She still prefers the film Pentax but that is another conversation.

The difference between the body on the D70 and the body on the D200 is about $800 or so. The D200 is a better camera in the long run, better focus system, higher resolution and way more options. The lenses/housing/ports/strobe are all about the same in terms of cost for both cameras. At the end of the day you will have spent a lot of money spending an extra $800 to have a system that is at the beginning of its life cycle as opposed to the end just seemed the best way to go.

If I was just buying the camera the D70 would be my choice as a beginner, but with the added expense of the housing etc I would go with the D200. Both do point and shoot really well so as a beginner I can take great shots while taking my time working through all the options - the D200 will just take longer to learn.

Just my opinion.

Be carefull, while the D70 may be a more pro camera than the D50 (mainly due to men options and the twin command dials).
I have seen rating sites and experts saying the D50 has a better chance of producing nicer images "right out of the box". Mainly due to better (newer) image processing than the older D70 and a (very slightly) different sensor.
Add the price difference and it makes a very interesting option for the begginer, specially considering the forecasted thunderstorm that will hit DSLR market next year or two.

kidsdream...thanks for the info. Are the lenses for UW different from my topside lens?

King Kong Matt:
I have shot digital photography before and I have read some very basic books on photography, but I have no real experience beyond that of a beginner (no experience with flashes, varying lenses, etc.).

What, in general, system would you recommend? I have heard a lot of people mention that the D70s is a good system for a beginner and a good camera for the price. I have also hear people state that the D200 is not a good camera for a beginner.

What would you recommend based on my description above?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Wait, although I agree in general with many feedbacks here, since this is a diver forum, I would like to ask you if you plan, or at least is it possible that you may want to use your DSLR for underwater photography. If it is possible, even though you haven't make up your mind yet, I'd invite you to check the price for the housing for, say, D70s/D200/D2x which are good DSLR, than say, the housing for a compact digital camera, cannon s80 for example.

King Kong Matt:
Can you expand on this a bit? In other words, (putting cost aside for the purposes of this discussion) is there a specific reason or set of reasons that a D200 may not be well suited for a beginner?

I really can't think of a reason why. I have a D200, and it's quite easy to use IMO. There are several HUGE improvements from the D70 to the D200. I spent a long time researching my camera purchase, and if you have the money to spend... I say go ahead.

alo100:
Wait, although I agree in general with many feedbacks here, since this is a diver forum, I would like to ask you if you plan, or at least is it possible that you may want to use your DSLR for underwater photography. If it is possible, even though you haven't make up your mind yet, I'd invite you to check the price for the housing for, say, D70s/D200/D2x which are good DSLR, than say, the housing for a compact digital camera, cannon s80 for example.

I wanted to emphasize something, D70s, D200, D21x there are all good, I was trying to emphasize nowadays people refer to D70s instead of D70, because once 70s was introduced, people usually choose D70s instead of D70, as it is a improved version of 70, the difference:

"D70s... has the same CCD sensor and imaging pipeline as the D70 so image quality should be identical. However several changes have been introduced including improved auto focus accuracy, slightly wider flash coverage, a higher capacity battery, a new larger 2.0" LCD monitor and re-designed menu"

ronpriskie:
kidsdream...thanks for the info. Are the lenses for UW different from my topside lens?

UW photography is pretty well all about getting close. So, it depends on what lenses you use for topside. For me a good wide angle lens is invaluable. I use the 12mm-24mm wide zoom, which, for me, is great for shooting wrecks and reef scenes. Another popular lens in this range is the 10.5mm prime. I also own a 60mm micro (macro) and a 105mm micro (macro) for getting macro. The 60mm lens also doubles as a great fish portrait lens.

Mariozi:
....specially considering the forecasted thunderstorm that will hit DSLR market next year or two.

Hy!
At the beginning of this thread you recommended to buy the least DX Lenses as possible, and now you talk about a thunderstorm hitting the DSLR Market. Could you, please, be a little more concrete about that (if you can)? What does taht mean? Nikon adapting their CCD to fit again with the traditional focal lenghts? Sony or Panasonic building lenses for Nikon? I bought recently the 12-24mm for a D70, want to buy also a macro lens like a 60mm. As lenses are the part of photographic equipment that last longer, it's also where many of us are spending more money. As much information we have before buying a new lens, the better choice we will make!
Thank you very much!
Hidroj

PD: Mariozi, thanks for the Nikonos Workshop PDF, many interesting advices!

60mm and 105mm.. neither are a DX lens feel free to purchase either one. both are great lenses (not sure about the new 105...)

The DX lenses are made specifically for the cropped sensors that Nikon uses. There is information floating around that Nikon is going to go to a full-framed sensor in the next couple of years, making the DX lenses unuseable.

Sony, Samsung & Panasonic are all getting into the DSLR market. It should help lower camera pricing. However, I don't see housing manufacturers being able (or willing) to house all of the new cameras. They will have to be selective on which ones they support. I suspect some of the smaller mfgs. won't even attempt to. They will stick to Nikon & Canon. The "Storm" most likely will not affect housing prices at all.....maybe even raise some. They will have to redesign & retool and sell less housings because of all of the options for the consumer.

This is purely my $0.02!

YMMV,
Dave

Back
Top Bottom