Nikon D90.......?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are various grades of Nikkors. Some are less expensive
lenses for the mass market, others are more expensive for the
serious photographer. For example, I have a Nikkor 70-210
f/4-5.6 and a Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8. The former was about 1/3
the price of the latter, the latter a much better lens.

I have a Nikon Series E 70-210 that's even lower quality than the Nikkor 70-210 (such low quality that they wouldn't even call it a Nikkor, although it's serviceable for architectural photography and landscapes, which is why I've kept it for 30 years).

It's important to remember that Nikon sells kit lenses to go with the D3000, and high end lenses to go with the D3s, and lenses in between. If you compare the sharpness of a Nikkor kit zoom to a Cosina/Voigtlander 125mm macro lens, the third party lens will win all the time, but comparing the low end of Nikkor lenses to the high end of third party lenses says nothing about the quality of the companies.

Thanks!
I was shooting RAW + JPEG low. The attached images are processed and resized JPEG low images. I use an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro, probably 6 years old, but it does everything I need. I have CS3 but I am just now beginning to play with the RAW files.

That said, even your P&S pics was great???

OK...soon to post some pics......but first.....
I want to thank

Jack Connick • Photographer
OpticalOceanSales.com
1935 8th Ave West
Seattle, WA 98119
Blog: redirect
Sales: Camera Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & More! - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

This is where I found what I consider the best service and information.
Jack is an outstanding individual who provides a service that I thought was long lost in todays world.
His expertise in diving as well as photography is what makes working with him made this sysem amazing.

The system provided...
Nauticam D-90 housing
8.5" dome port
Macro port
180 view finder....this is amazing
2 ikelite DS-161 strobes
10" bounancy arms
6" arms
Ikelite iTTL adapter

and other parts to make it complete.....

system is almost perfectly neutral in bouancy........

Thanks again Jack

The D90 is an excellent choice but in another 6mths or so Nikon will come out with the D400. Then pricing on D90s will drop. Many gear junkies will be unloading whole systems for half the price. Just a thought...

Several comments.
1-Consider a used D-80 or D-200. I just sold a D-200 Ikelite housing and multiple ports for $750. I have a D-300 and I don't think the difference is that much between it and the D-200. (The only real advantage is battery life)
2-Don't underestimate the AF-105-VR. Unless you are shooting in murky water the 105 is far advanced. The difference is the "working difference" plus the "maximum difference".

The maximum distance is the distance that one can get a good closeup of a relatively small subject.

...The ability to shoot with fiber optic cables is a real plus, as is the new Nauticam viewfinder

Can you actually see the D90 screen through the back of the Naticam, or do you have to use the eye piece? I need bifocals to see my camera underwater, and I do not want to have to put the camera up to my eye.

I wouldn't go lower or earlier than a D90. It is profoundly better than the D80.

I'm just wondering why you fixed on Nikon.....?

although the Lionfish is perfect, the diver in the near background is kind of soft as well, so the depth of field isn't what it could be with a true WA, or a true macro, but overall quite nice.

Not so soft as to blur that handfull of reef. I wonder why photogs get a bad wrap?

Can you actually see the D90 screen through the back of the Naticam, or do you have to use the eye piece? I need bifocals to see my camera underwater, and I do not want to have to put the camera up to my eye.

You can see it well wih or without the extra lense.....

Why not get a set of Trident opti lenses.....

they are adhesive..non-residue....lenses of different strengths that work great....I love mine.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom