Nikon D90 housings Ikelite domes, arm length etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something a little different. Higher shutter speed. Manual mode and TTL strobes

3541727187_e959beacca.jpg

10mm (f8, 1/320th ISO 100)

Scott, I went to your website and you have some gorgeous photos! I must confess after looking the website I dont understand the statement, "People using TTL should be shooting in manual mode, and they can set any shutter speed they want." Probably just slipping my mind as its been known to happen before.

hey Katamuki, no problem. Thanks for the nice compliments.

I wasn't clear enough, maybe I should have said

"When shooting with an Ikelite or Sea & Sea TTL digital TTL converter, out of the 4 modes on a Nikon dSLR camera (M,A,S,P) - make sure you choose manual mode, so you can set the shutter speed and aperture yourself. The TTL converter will set the strobe power for you"

Does that make more sense?

Scott

guys ive got a question, im thinking of getting an aquatica setup and was going to get the TTL bulk head (I havent bought flashes yet), am i better off not doing that?

guys ive got a question, im thinking of getting an aquatica setup and was going to get the TTL bulk head (I havent bought flashes yet), am i better off not doing that?

It really depends on which way you want to go with your Strobes.

The TTL bulk head is setup for Ikelite DS strobes only on the Aquatica housing. There isnt any point in getting the TTL bulk head if your using another brand of strobe.

If you have Ikelite DS strobe/s and want to use their TTL function and maybe later use them in manual mode you have to go the TTL Bulkhead option. Best of both worlds so to speak.

Regards Mark

My son ans I have just ordered a Nikon D90 with Nikor 18-55VR lens and a fish eye Tokina 10 17 lens to go with our current S & S DX1G compact camera.
We are confused as to what Ikelite productŽÃŽÔ are best suited to our modest skills and ambitions. pros and cons.
* Do we use the 6 inch or 8 inch domes ...especialy WITH the fish eye lens????
*We want to use 2 x DS160 stobes but we am not sure what lenghth arms we need ??? 14, 16 or 18 inch ..what would be best suited to cover the wide angle lens etc.??
*We would greatly appreciate any ideas and opinions or if any one thinks their may be better options than ikelite.??
We were thinking Ikelite because TTL came standard and it seems modestly priced .

Call Ikelite for clarification on which parts to order. That's what I did for my D300. They know their stuff.

Ž© Ikelite Underwater Systems
50 W 33rd St, Indianapolis, IN 46208 USA
Phone 317.923.4523 Fax 317.924.7988

For what it's worth, I have this and love it:

D90
Ikelite housing
2 DS51 strobes
Tokina 10-17 + 8" dome
Nikon 60mm macro + flat port
ULCS arms 2x8" and 2x5"

I just tried it out for the first time a couple weeks ago, some photos are here: Collection: Roatan, May 2009 Expedition

(I haven't gone through them yet, but probably the better ones are from later in the week!)

Hi everyone!

I'm also looking for a housing for my D90....but it is not so easy. Prices are very high and I don't have the opportunity to hold any of these in my hands before purchasing. (I'm Hungarian)

Ikelite has relatively good prices, but it is very big. I'm not a pro in diving (have approximately 70 dives). Although it is widely used and easy to find accessories.

Fradotec is also cheap, seems a bit more stiff, but I don't know any of it.

Can I use ikelite strobes with it? Which are the funkcions I could use with the D90? Do I need to find a TTL converter, or is it included?

10bar has the same problem that Ikelite, although its a bit smaller. Patima is a bit more expensive, but very rare on the market.

So I'm looking for a housing around 1300-1500 USD, that supports ikelite strobes and arms (they are very common and seems to be good choice). Zoom and MF is not important, but Lv is.

I'd appreciate your ideas.

Thanks,
Romaf.

romaf, it seems like you should go with Ikelite. It is big, but I didn't find it too difficult to manage underwater. Also, once you add the strobes, any dslr rig is pretty big.

The only other option is Aquatica with its Ikelite TTL option Bulkhead. You can have the small compact housing and use the Ikelite Digital strobes.

The Aquatica will a little bit more expensive than the Ikelite but when you add up all the costs involved in a setup like ports, lenses, sync cords, strobes, arms it doesn take long before its a big outlay. Then the extra cost for a better housing doesnt look so bad.

Regards Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom