Nikon D90, 60mm & 2x Teleconverter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AussieByron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I had a play with my 60mm AFD lens with a Kenko 2x Teleconverter for some increase sized macro shots.

Its a litle bit of work in progress but there are the results so far.

3241512639_68931acdf4.jpg

Mantis Shrimp

3242347026_c746e1793a.jpg

Abbott's Moray

3242346498_4058590089.jpg

Hermit Crab. this guy was small

3241512491_72d483cd0c.jpg

red lined flabellina. Small version. These guys are still everywhere at the moment

3241513451_ef22ae5b11.jpg

black margined glossodoris

3242347400_521d36426b.jpg

Bennett's hypselodoris making love [:wink:]

3242348012_15c5d50ac7.jpg

blue dragon, serpent pteraeolidia

Very nice Mark. Manual focus or was the camera able to meter with the Kenko?

The Kenko Pro 300 series will autofocus with the 105VR and the 60 AF-S. In fact, with the 105VR, VR will still work. AF is however slower when using the TC.

The Kenko Pro 300 series will autofocus with the 105VR and the 60 AF-S. In fact, with the 105VR, VR will still work. AF is however slower when using the TC.

Yes the AF is alot slower and a focusing light is really important. You also have to increase the aperture to allow for the extra glass of the Teleconverter.

I also noticed that the colour of the shots also chnaged a little with a predominant increase in yellow. Maybe its just me???

Regards Mark

Good images.
What port configuration did you use?

Yes the AF is alot slower and a focusing light is really important. You also have to increase the aperture to allow for the extra glass of the Teleconverter.

I also noticed that the colour of the shots also chnaged a little with a predominant increase in yellow. Maybe its just me???

Regards Mark

They are nice shots Mark. I love em! I don't notice a yellow hue but do see a slight pink/violet tinge. My screen has been color calibrated so I am quite certain it isn't my monitor. Nothing that the hue slider in any photo application can't fix though... It really weird though cause the TC really should not affect color.....perhaps sharpness may suffer but your shots seem spot on....

They are nice shots Mark. I love em! I don't notice a yellow hue but do see a slight pink/violet tinge. My screen has been color calibrated so I am quite certain it isn't my monitor. Nothing that the hue slider in any photo application can't fix though... It really weird though cause the TC really should not affect color.....perhaps sharpness may suffer but your shots seem spot on....

I expected to loose a few f-stops with the TC but there was a definate yellow tint. Who knows.
I had to add a bit of blue to the highlights to make it natural. Will look at playing with the Hue also.

It was an effort to take the shots as I had alot of surge and trying to keep locked onto the subject was a pain.

cheers Mark

Nice shots!

I'd say a 105mm would be a better option as there is less glass involved, and no loss of fstops/speed. However until such time as you get that lens, this options seems to be working out nicely. Minimum aperture of f5.6 is really not a huge issue with a strobe, but can be a bit limiting from a focus perspective as the camera has to focus at f5.6 vs. f2.8. I would imagine the camera does more hunting during focus using a teleconverter.

Nice shots!

I'd say a 105mm would be a better option as there is less glass involved, and no loss of fstops/speed. However until such time as you get that lens, this options seems to be working out nicely. Minimum aperture of f5.6 is really not a huge issue with a strobe, but can be a bit limiting from a focus perspective as the camera has to focus at f5.6 vs. f2.8. I would imagine the camera does more hunting during focus using a teleconverter.

Hi Ron.

Its not the focal range I am after its the 2x image size as i also have the 105mm Nikkor. Next step is to add maybe a +2 Dioptre or woodies infront to get a 4x image size supermacro setup.

The camera does more hunting with the TC but focusing light helps alot or a friend who has a HID.

Regards Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom