Nikon D850

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi I just bought a Nikon D850 and I need some help with my equipment choices. I currently use with my old DSLR camera an Ikelite housing and strobes, but for this new camera i was looking into Nauticam. I got a full equipment setup with nauticam and just wanted someone to help check if everything is OK or there might be some items that are not that usefull. I have three lenses in mind for underwater use 8-15mm, 16-35mm and 105mm. this is the underwater equipment.

nauticam housing

macro port 87 for 105mm

2 nauticam 200mm ball arm

2 nauticam 70x250 aluminum float arm

zen DP-100 glass dome port for 8-15mm

zen 230mm glass dome for 16-35mm

45 degree viewfinder

2 inon z330 strobes with optical fiber cable (or is sync cords better?)

so is this setup a good choice? do I need both domes? and i need help to figure out how to travel with this (please recommend a case) I use a pelican case now with my Ikelite housing but a lot of friend divers told me that the attract to much attention, that is heavy and that there might be a way to pack everything on a carry on bag.

I really appreciate all of your help in advance, I know how much this things cost and making the best decision is important to get it right from the start.

Thank you.
The only thing that I can think of is that underwater, you might find that you seldom use your 16-35 lens. If you want to shoot wide, you will probably grab the 8-15mm and for Macro, you will grab the 105mm every time. Don't get me wrong, I shoot a lot of landscapes and for me, something in the 16-35mm range is my "go-to" lens, but I am not sure that it would be underwater. (It might tempt you stand off a bit and to zoom out to the 35mm end of the range and then your strobes might not be as effective as they would be if you were closer.)

Just a thought. Just an opinion. You might love the 16-35 underwater, but I don't think that I would buy a port for it, I would just use it above the surface.

Also, I have found Inon strobe work really well with fiber optics. If the D850 can trigger them that way, that is what I would use.

The only thing that I can think of is that underwater, you might find that you seldom use your 16-35 lens. If you want to shoot wide, you will probably grab the 8-15mm and for Macro, you will grab the 105mm every time. Don't get me wrong, I shoot a lot of landscapes and for me, something in the 16-35mm range is my "go-to" lens, but I am not sure that it would be underwater. (It might tempt you stand off a bit and to zoom out to the 35mm end of the range and then your strobes might not be as effective as they would be if you were closer.)

Just a thought. Just an opinion. You might love the 16-35 underwater, but I don't think that I would buy a port for it, I would just use it above the surface.

Also, I have found Inon strobe work really well with fiber optics. If the D850 can trigger them that way, that is what I would use.

Thank you Hoag, so you think that the 8-15mm with the Zen fisheye dome 100 is the choice to go? So the zen 9in for the 16-35 is not worth it? Or is it also usefull with the fisheye? Thax

Thank you Hoag, so you think that the 8-15mm with the Zen fisheye dome 100 is the choice to go? So the zen 9in for the 16-35 is not worth it? Or is it also usefull with the fisheye? Thax
What I find useful might not be what you find useful. If it were me, I would try a trip without buying the port for the 16-35mm and see if there were any situations where you felt that you missed an opportunity or fail to capture the image that you wanted because you didn't have it. I think that at the end of the first trip, you will have your answer. Either you will wish you had one, or you will find that you didn't miss it. Keep in mind, that doing this, is a bit of a risk if it does turn out that you really do like the 16-35 underwater and you wish you had invested in the port for it.

Another factor to consider is that a 9inch dome is a big dome to pack (especially if you want your camera gear in your carry-on) and it is a big dome to push through the water column.

Ultimately, only you will know if you should get the dome for it, but if it were me, I wouldn't.

So I have been told that I should consider the sigma 15mm or the nikon 16mm instead of the 8-15mm. What is the best way to go?

That looks like a pretty good D850/Nauticam system. I'm using a similar one.

The Nikon 8-15 is useful either at 8 or at 15 but not much in between. Another poster mentioned skipping the 16-35 and the larger dome port, but then you will have a system with only 8mm fisheye circular, 15mm fisheye rectangular, and 105mm macro. Depending on your preferred subjects, the 16-35 might be a pretty key middle option in that range.

The 8-15 works either with the Zen 100mm, and/or with an extension ring with the Zen 230mm. One logic for having both options would be using the smaller port for closeups (shorter working distances) and the larger port for over/unders.

The 45 degree viewfinder is very handy.

Have fun!

Hi I just bought a Nikon D850 and I need some help with my equipment choices. I currently use with my old DSLR camera an Ikelite housing and strobes, but for this new camera i was looking into Nauticam. I got a full equipment setup with nauticam and just wanted someone to help check if everything is OK or there might be some items that are not that usefull. I have three lenses in mind for underwater use 8-15mm, 16-35mm and 105mm. this is the underwater equipment.

nauticam housing

macro port 87 for 105mm

2 nauticam 200mm ball arm

2 nauticam 70x250 aluminum float arm

zen DP-100 glass dome port for 8-15mm

zen 230mm glass dome for 16-35mm

45 degree viewfinder

2 inon z330 strobes with optical fiber cable (or is sync cords better?)

so is this setup a good choice? do I need both domes? and i need help to figure out how to travel with this (please recommend a case) I use a pelican case now with my Ikelite housing but a lot of friend divers told me that the attract to much attention, that is heavy and that there might be a way to pack everything on a carry on bag.

I really appreciate all of your help in advance, I know how much this things cost and making the best decision is important to get it right from the start.

Thank you.

So I have been told that I should consider the sigma 15mm or the nikon 16mm instead of the 8-15mm. What is the best way to go?
I have the Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX fisheye and I love it. It is the only Canon mount lens that I kept when I made the switch to Sony a few months ago. Because I have to use it with an adapter, auto focus on the Sony is nowhere near as fast as it was on the Canon.

If you already have the 8-15mm, I wouldn't replace it, but if you are still looking for ways to finalize your set up, then I would say that the Sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye might be worth a serious look.

That looks like a pretty good D850/Nauticam system. I'm using a similar one.

The Nikon 8-15 is useful either at 8 or at 15 but not much in between. Another poster mentioned skipping the 16-35 and the larger dome port, but then you will have a system with only 8mm fisheye circular, 15mm fisheye rectangular, and 105mm macro. Depending on your preferred subjects, the 16-35 might be a pretty key middle option in that range.

The 8-15 works either with the Zen 100mm, and/or with an extension ring with the Zen 230mm. One logic for having both options would be using the smaller port for closeups (shorter working distances) and the larger port for over/unders.

The 45 degree viewfinder is very handy.

Have fun!
I was that "other poster". At the time, I did made the incorrect assumption that the 8-15 was an Ultra Wide Angle lens, not a fisheye. Now that I know that it is a fisheye, PLEASE take my previous recommendation with a huge grain of salt. It may not have the same level of validity as it would if the 8-15 was a rectilinear lens.

My apologies.

I have the Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX fisheye and I love it. It is the only Canon mount lens that I kept when I made the switch to Sony a few months ago. Because I have to use it with an adapter, auto focus on the Sony is nowhere near as fast as it was on the Canon.

If you already have the 8-15mm, I wouldn't replace it, but if you are still looking for ways to finalize your set up, then I would say that the Sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye might be worth a serious look.

I am actually looking for ways to finalize my setup. I have only bought the 16-35mm so I might be going for the sigma 15mm instead of the more expensive 8-15 and only use the bigger dome with it so I might as well save some money on the smaller dome. I think with the 15mm the port can be just the dome without extensions also, and no zoom gear.

Skip getting set-up for your 16-35mm... you're joking right? Based on my experience and preferences for pursuing underwater photographs, I would go with the 16-35mm before spending money on a 8-15mm set-up.

I seldom use my fisheye lens. I don't like the field curvature for most subjects and only use it when I'm pursuing photographs of big critters like mantas and whale sharks. Personally, I prefer renticular wide angle lenses over fisheyes.

The 16-35mm is an incredible wide angle lens. You'll find the reach is something you appreciate.

-AZTinman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom