Nikon D80 Housing Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frenchmonkee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am wondering what the best recommended housing for the Nikon D80. I am looking for price, durability, leak proofing, strobes, etc. Any tips, info, or input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dee

Ikelite all the way.
Very well built housings and strobes, well thought out controls, and GREAT service and support.

I have a D100 and a DS125 strobe. I just sent my housing in for a refresh and they turned it in 3 days not counting shipping. And they only charged $125 to replace every oring and clean and inspect every part in the housing.

I also have nothing but praise for Ikelite's service...turned in my DS-125 strobe for service and back in my hands within 2 weeks. I have the Ikelite housing for my D80 but have only used on one trip but was impressed with build quality and functionality...looking forward to more opportunities this year.

Ike makes great housing, especially given the price. a possible downside depending on personal preference, is that ike housings tend to be bulkier. I travel alot, so I went with an all aluminum housing which is much smaller than Ikes, so I can fit my whole kit except the dome port into a carry on backpack.

Sea & Sea makes a half aluminum, half polycarbinate housing for a reasonable price, subal and seacam make the "best" housings, and you will pay for it. These are the big housing developers, your budget and requirements will determine what you should buy.

There are many factors such as TTL converters, port options and such to consider which should drive your choices. reccomend determing those options withing your budget, and compare and contrast options that are important to you.

It's a fun and educational process, don't think of it as a chore. I took 3 months to research the correct housing for my D200 before settling on the Sea and Sea. Remember, once you pick a housing, you will invest in that housing's gears, ports, and other costly attachments, so you will likely stay with them for as long as you are in the hobby, even if you upgrade cameras.

John

I have no problem fitting my D100 housing, 1 port, camera, strobe, and cords in one standard size carry on bag. I do not see the Sea and Sea housing being any smaller than the Ike.

I like the Poly housings because its easier to see if its leaking and how bad.

I chose the Sea and Sea housing for the Aluminum/poly body for my D80. I am very happy with the setup. I would suggest doing the research on each of the housings to determine your needs and desires. Just don't "cheap out" to buy everything now rather, get a few accessories now and add others later.

I am a Sea&Sea fan from my first experience with them (S&S NX-80 for the Nikon N80)... have had the DX-D50 and just got the DX-D80, wich is the best DSLR housing I have ever had!

Sea & Sea, Aquatica and Ikelite make very nice housings. For DSLR's, a machined aluminum housing is my preference. The Sea & Sea is the most compact of the three housings and offers TTL when used with their strobes and the TTL converter. Aquatica is now offering TTL with the use of Ikelite strobes and they offer the new viewfinder option as well!

As mentioned above, port optics and accessories are very important to consider when choosing to invest in a manufacturer because you will likely stay with that manufacturer for quite sometime.

Fantasea makes a very nice new housing for the D80 that has all controls and includes a standard port that works with the 18-70 and the 60mm macro; out of the box. The setup uses an extension port system, so you simply add on what you need to accommodate lenses, unlike others that require specific ports for each lens. Has adjustable metal handles that go in and out for small hands or gloves.

The build quality is every bit as good as Ike, with the exception that Ike has TTL with Ike strobes. It is smaller and lighter out of the water. Fantasea Line also has a housing for the Nikon SB800 strobe that works very well in i-TTL, TTL and more modes, or will work in manual with any Nikonos strobe.

The FD80 Housing is hundreds of dollars less and comes with a year's flood insurance too!

Here's a link to some shots I've taken with it.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom