Nikon D500 - Can you change the aperture without using the sub-command dial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ATJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After not being able to dive for 3 months (due to COVID restrictions in Sydney), I was setting up my camera rig on Monday morning for my first dive when I discovered that I'd lost a ring from inside the housing (Ikelite) that pushes against the sub-command dial and allows me to change the aperture. I ended up doing the dive with the aperture stuck at f/16 which wasn't terrible as it is my most frequently used aperture.

I made a part and it all seems to be working now but I'd hate to be on a dive and find out that my fix stopped working.

Is there a away with menus or the Info button to be able to adjust the aperture without using the sub-command dial? I've tried Googling it but just get endless videos that don't answer the question.

I have a D500 in an Ikelite Housing.
I do not think you can change the aperture without using the subcommand dial.

If the menus on you D500 are like previous models and my D850, you should be able switch the function of your command dials. The rear dial (main) is usually set for shutter speed control and the front dial (sub) controls the aperture.

Look at your Custom Setting Menu. Find Controls and move into the Controls Menu and move into Customize Command Dials. Move into ChangeMain/Sub. The camera is probably set to Off or --. Move into this setting and turn it on. This will reverse the role of the command dials. Aperture control will move to the rear (main) command dial. Shutter control will switch to the front (sub) command dial.

Again assuming your D500 works like previous Nikon models and also assuming you are shooting with strobes, you probably set your shutter speed on its sync speed and do not change it during dives. Not having the ability to change shutter settings underwater should not be a major issue anyway.

It may be worth considering changing the functions of the command dials when the camera is housed. The rear dial (main) controls on a housing are usually easier to use than the housing controls for the sub command dial.

-AZTinman

If the menus on you D500 are like previous models and my D850, you should be able switch the function of your command dials. The rear dial (main) is usually set for shutter speed control and the front dial (sub) controls the aperture.

Look at your Custom Setting Menu. Find Controls and move into the Controls Menu and move into Customize Command Dials. Move into ChangeMain/Sub. The camera is probably set to Off or --. Move into this setting and turn it on. This will reverse the role of the command dials. Aperture control will move to the rear (main) command dial. Shutter control will switch to the front (sub) command dial.
Excellent! Yes. It's there on the D500. Thanks!
Again assuming your D500 works like previous Nikon models and also assuming you are shooting with strobes, you probably set your shutter speed on its sync speed and do not change it during dives. Not having the ability to change shutter settings underwater should not be a major issue anyway.

It may be worth considering changing the functions of the command dials when the camera is housed. The rear dial (main) controls on a housing are usually easier to use than the housing controls for the sub command dial.

-AZTinman
Only that I have been using the front dial for some 15 years and it is muscle memory now. I think it would be difficult for me to switch now. Additionally, I do change the shutter speed from time to time for changing the background lighting. I don't do it as often as aperture but I do do it.

But thank you and I now at least have an option if my repairs fail while I'm underwater.

Should your repair fail while you're underwater, the menu command dial settings will allow you to use the main command dial to control both your aperture and shutter speed. All of the control buttons you need are there on your Ikelite housing. It just takes some time to navigate the menu and tell the camera what you want it to do.

Have fun!

-AZTinman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom