Nikon D40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcknight, you should also check with places like www.resellerratings.com to get some reviews of potential sellers. It's a good way to avoid the scams out there are get some unbiased reveiws. good luck.. I'm dealing with the search myself.. although I haven't yet figured if I want a D80, or the Canon XTi

My bet: Ike will be the only manufacturer to make a housing.

Let's face it, the only reason any of us would buy this camera is price. Unfortunately, camera cost is only a small piece of the puzzle. Housing, ports, strobes, arms, lenses...

Why buy a camera that won't work properly with the 10.5mm fisheye or 105mm lenses?

Frankly, I would love to shoot a DSLR underwater. I'd have no problem spending $1000 on a body. It's the other $5000 or $6000 that scares me.

Dpreview has a review of the Nikon D40 up now.

It reviewed rather favourably.....

Hi, here is the first picture of the Fantasea FD 40 housing for the Nikon D40 camera.

We are dive testing it now. Hope to have it ready by early Feb.

Keep an eye on our website for more info www.fantasea.com

Happy New Year

Fantasea LinE:\My Pictures\1 new products\0 New Products and upgrades\DSLR\FD 40\FD 40 housing.jpeg.

HMan:
Hi, here is the first picture of the Fantasea FD 40 housing for the Nikon D40 camera.

We are dive testing it now. Hope to have it ready by early Feb.

Keep an eye on our website for more info www.fantasea.com

Happy New Year

Fantasea LinE:\My Pictures\1 new products\0 New Products and upgrades\DSLR\FD 40\FD 40 housing.jpeg.

Hman, your pic isn't loading.... :(.

Have you tried attaching it to your post??

WaTeRwEaSeL:
Is there a good chance that a housing will be made for the Nikon D40? I believe that it is not auto-focus. Will this make it unsuitable for underwater use? It looks like a great camera. Or is it better off to get the D50 or D80?

Thanks
I think this will help http://ikelite.com/web_pages/camnikchart.html

Housing for Nikon D40 will be available late February.

I think you are wrong to say the D40 is junk on land and would be a poor underwater camera. I just purchased a D40 and as a expirienced film and digital shooter, Nikon F, F2, FM2, F3HPT I started using digital cameras in 1994 DCS200 and DCS420 were the first digital SLR's DCS200 was BW 2.2MP and the 420 was 4.2MP color they had Nikon N90 bodys with Kodak digital backs. The D40 is head and shoulders above anything Point and shoot and most DSLR's. Yes it is not a D80 or a D200 but most people never use those features and they would be of no use underwater.
The D40 has outstanding TTL and white balance the 18mm (28mm in 35mm) lens is the norm for recreational diving photos and I will admit the limited lens selection would be a problem if you are interested in specialized photograpy such as macro. I believe we will see more lenses for the D40 shortly. As for the auto focus I have shot sporting events, aircraft, small children and it has not been a problem. Remember most of the great under water photos were taken by Nikonos, great camera no auto focus, If you learn about photography you will quickly understand depth of field (F-stop) and shutter speed are more importan than "Autofocus" areas.
When the Ikelite housing becomes availible I will purchase one because I know the D40 is a great camera.

Here's the pic of the FD40 Housing, should be out early in March, MSRP of $1099 with standard port. Full i-TTL with the FSB-800 strobe housing. This is a prototype.

362343988_e3d4b5ec40.jpg

Jack

Back
Top Bottom