Nikon Coolpix P5100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Scuba Steve said, RAW is exactly that, the raw data from the sensor. When you shoot a JPEG, the camera uses your settings and its programming to determine what will be the best picture. It then throws away everything it doesn't need to make that picture and compresses the data into the JPEG format. RAW files are about 10 times as big. The downside is you'll only get about 84 pictures on a gig of RAW, compared to almost 600 large JPEGs. The upside is huge. You can take an underexposed or overexposed picture, or one that is all blue or green and recover at least most of the data you need to make the picture more resemble what you saw with your divelight. That's because with all that data, there is enough still there to find the red bits and properly exposed bits that you need. Once compressed into JPEG, an over or underexposed picture becomes really grainy and terrible or blown out when you try to fix it, and it's very difficult to fix the white balance if it wasn't close to begin with.

Not only does JPEG throw away what it doesn't need, it throws away some of what it DOES need
and introduces compression artifacts. They are real obvious once you learn what they look like.
And each time you resave a JPEG after editing, it gets worse.

Chuck

Thank you Nemrod,
Very interesting points you raise.
Fantasea Line will be creating a very exciting new housing for the P6000 when it is released.
We hope it will be in the time leading up to the Photokina show at the end of September.

Fantasea will be there with a great housing for what we believe will be a great new Coolpix camera. We pride ourselves in meeting the need of Coolpix users (and more).

thank you for your comments, we will look into your thoughts regarding the Inon AD Mounts. If any more of you Coolpix shooters feel the same, then please write us at info@fantasea.com

Have a great summer with great images

Howard
Fantasea Line
Fantasea

Last edited:
Just an FYI, FP5000 Fantasea housings have been in tight supply for the last few weeks. I have several on backorder, they seem to get filled bit by bit. So allow plenty of time to get your rig.

Jack
Hi Jack and Everyone,
Sorry about the Back Orders on the Fantasea Line FP5000 housing.
The good news is starting next week our 5th production run on this very popular housing will be completed.

The FP5000 has been our most successful Coolpix housing ever, servicing both the Coolpix P5000 and P51000.

We thank all of our customers for their support.

We are now starting to gear up for what appears to be its successor, the Coolpix P6000. Keep an eye on Fantasea for more news about this one!!!

Howard
Fantasea Line

Hi Jack and Everyone,
Sorry about the Back Orders on the Fantasea Line FP5000 housing.
The good news is starting next week our 5th production run on this very popular housing will be completed.

The FP5000 has been our most successful Coolpix housing ever, servicing both the Coolpix P5000 and P51000.

We thank all of our customers for their support.

We are now starting to gear up for what appears to be its successor, the Coolpix P6000. Keep an eye on Fantasea for more news about this one!!!

Howard
Fantasea Line

Would you please make it compatable with Inon lenses, the AD series preferrably, if you do I will buy one, maybe two. Thank you. N

Let me add, since I see that the P6000 has a 4X Zoom, 28MM lens (35MM equiv.) that means it might better take advantage of the Inon 28AD series and not the "ordinary" AD series which are optimal for 32MM-36MM (35 MM equiv.) and thus would require a slight zoom in. Either way, please, please set it up to use one or the other to GOOD advantage.

I really think it would be a huge PLUS factor for this P6000/Fantasea combination. The reason I did not purchase the Fantasea/Nikon P5100 combo is for that reason alone, it does not accept the Inon lenses.

Why Inon:
1) They are better, better coatings, better design than the competition
2) They have macro, wide angle and fisheye (fullframe) combinations
3) They are wet mount (AD and 28AD are bayonet mount)
4) They seem to have excellent support for their products
5) Did I mention clever and innovative design
6) High quality build

You should really strongly try and accomplsih this combination, it would be an amazing set up. In other words, build the capability into the design of the housing. Thank you. Saving money now.

N

Fantasea does support the FP5000 with a very nice wide angle lens, very similar to the Inon 105AD. Less expensive too. Also red filters. Some people like the screw mount rather than the bayonet mounts, btw. I've been working on Fantasea for a macro lens, there were rumors of one in the works. Write Howard and tell him you want one. but also Inon has not supported Fantasea, so you might want to put some pressure on them for an adapter.

I have been informed that I will be getting more FP5000s in stock in about 7 days, btw.

Jack

That lens I have been told by good sources has inferior coatings that do not hold up in use and does not perform on par optically with the Inon UAL 100 and as well having significantly more distortion. While Fantasea does offer a thread-on solution, there is no macro or super wide (full frame fisheye) as Inon provides--thus--again---if your going to do something why not address some of the problems to make the system so much more capable. Thread-on is better than nothing but quarter turn bayonet is much better to deal with while under water with sand and grit and gloves etc.

It would be nice if Inon would do it for Fantasea (or Ikelite) but part of the problem is the housings are not designed in a manner to make easy adpatation--remember your electrical tape solution some weeks back? Not very elegant. No, the adapter needs to be designed in from Fantasea complete with a port LENGTH that will not result in severe vignetting and distortion.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom