Nikon Coolpix 5600/Nikon WP-CP3 Housing/Nikonos SB 105 Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pkrupela

Registered
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix 5600 so I wouldn't have to lug my Canon EOS Digital Rebel and all of its lenses, etc. with me all the time. Then Nikon came out with the WP-CP3 underwater housing (rated to 130') for the Coolpix and it seemed like a nice little point & shoot setup that I can take with me when I'm going to get a few dives in on a trip that isn't geared just for diving. One of the first things I noticed was that it's about the same size as my old Nikonos V, and lo-and-behold, the Nikonos tray fits the Coolpix housing perfectly. So I brought out the old SB 105 strobe, set it on slave, and fired off a few shots. Worked great... So here's the question for anyone that may want to comment. What do you think about setting up the Coolpix in the WP case, attaching the case to the Nikonos tray and arm, and using the SB 105 on slave??? The SB 105 is obviously not a digital strobe - not sure how digital and film strobes differ anyway, but with it slaved to the built-in Coolpix flash, what kind of results do you think I'd get??? For wide angle and fish shots with good natural light, the Coolpix built-in flash may provide some additional fill lighting, but I doubt that it's going to give anywhere near the illumination I'd need for good macro or close-up shots. Anybody hazard a guess as to how the SB 105 slaved to the housed Coolpix may work? I'd appreciate comments.

Only cameras that can cancel the preflash will work with the SB105. In other words, if you had a Canon A95 or Olympus C-5050 you could use it.

The SB105 won't be able to recognize the Coolpix preflash. As a result it will fire prematurely. Take a look at Matthias' adapter. www.mike-dive.de

DesertEagle:
Only cameras that can cancel the preflash will work with the SB105. In other words, if you had a Canon A95 or Olympus C-5050 you could use it.

The SB105 won't be able to recognize the Coolpix preflash. As a result it will fire prematurely. Take a look at Matthias' adapter. www.mike-dive.de

So even though it looks as though the SB 105 is firing at exactly the same time, it's actually a milisecond or two ahead of the Coolpix flash??? I tried a few test shots with closeups on land, and you're right - it doesn't appear that the strobe is illuminating the subject when the digital shot is actually taken. As a matter of fact, there seems to be almost a bit of a canceling effect as shots taken with just the built in camera flash have more lighting than using the strobe slaved to the camera flash. I wonder if there's just a hint of light from the strobe left and the camera compensates for this by shortening the exposure a bit.

It was a good idea if it had worked... So are you aware of any Nikon digital strobes out there that will fit my old Nikonos V tray and arm, and that would work with the Coolpix?

Just purchased a Coolpix 5600 and WP-CP3 with an external can't wait to use it at Cayman Brac. I should have it on Monday.

pkrupela:
I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix 5600 so I wouldn't have to lug my Canon EOS Digital Rebel and all of its lenses, etc. with me all the time. Then Nikon came out with the WP-CP3 underwater housing (rated to 130') for the Coolpix and it seemed like a nice little point & shoot setup that I can take with me when I'm going to get a few dives in on a trip that isn't geared just for diving. One of the first things I noticed was that it's about the same size as my old Nikonos V, and lo-and-behold, the Nikonos tray fits the Coolpix housing perfectly. So I brought out the old SB 105 strobe, set it on slave, and fired off a few shots. Worked great... So here's the question for anyone that may want to comment. What do you think about setting up the Coolpix in the WP case, attaching the case to the Nikonos tray and arm, and using the SB 105 on slave??? The SB 105 is obviously not a digital strobe - not sure how digital and film strobes differ anyway, but with it slaved to the built-in Coolpix flash, what kind of results do you think I'd get??? For wide angle and fish shots with good natural light, the Coolpix built-in flash may provide some additional fill lighting, but I doubt that it's going to give anywhere near the illumination I'd need for good macro or close-up shots. Anybody hazard a guess as to how the SB 105 slaved to the housed Coolpix may work? I'd appreciate comments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom