Nikon 4300 and Fantasea CP-4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelion03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since I already have a Coolpix 5700 and have an investment in EN-EL1 batteries and CF cards, I'm considering purchasing a Coolpix 4300 and Fantasea CP-4 case. With some judicial shopping, I can get the package for just over $300. Anyone have any comments on Fantasea cases? I have been considering the 4300 as a "pocket" camera to carry around with me when the 5700 is "too much camera". How are the controls/features as applied to u/w photography? I realize that a camera may have features that make it too complex or difficult (i.e. increase the task loading) to operate underwater. Is this an issue with the 4300? My brother's g'friend has one and she loves the simplicity in PNS mode.

I was looking at the Sealife digitals until I started reading here about the relatively low cost u/w housings available for mainstream cameras.

One more thing...in the future, I'd like to add an external flash...any comparable bargains? Is the Sealife unit a good buy??

Much obliged!

Well, I used to own a 4300 and a CP-4 but it drowned recently :ghost: . While I had it, the operations under water is relatively simple, even in manual mode. I guess one of the main problems with the 4300 is the shutter lag. It is a significantly older model to the cameras we have today, and the lag is also significantly more. The internal flash is ok for up to 1.5 ft but pic quality seriously deteriorates if u need to take something beyond that distance. U would probably want to shoot in manual since the 1/60 default for flash is a little slow for underwater shooting.

Wait a month. There will be a Fantasea housing for the 5700. You get a year's free insurance with the housing. That should make your decision easier.

About the 4300: I have one and generally I'm happy with it. Shutter lag is comparable to other digicams. What I have had difficulty with is focusing indoors in low light. To get around that, I shoot indoors in manual mode, and use the red-eye reduction. My guess is that this isn't too different from the Coolpix 5700. Neither have an autofocus assist light.

On my last trip I borrowed a Fantasea housing. Overall I'm impressed. I found it very easy to seal. And this was a housing that had a lot of dives on it. My own experience was that best results come from shooting on auto but using the exposure compensation button to make adjustments. One of the big advantages of the housing is the availability of an inexpensive macro/wide angle lens combo. I didn't have the chance to us it. Adorama & Helix sell the combo for about $150. The CP-4 Pro housing can be bought for $144. Attached are a couple of my photos with the housing alone.

The Sealife has an attractive housing. But the camera- it looks like a disposable. You get what you pay for. Buy the housing for your existing camera and get a wide angle lens.

DesertEagle:
Wait a month. There will be a Fantasea housing for the 5700. You get a year's free insurance with the housing. That should make your decision easier.

A housing for my 5700 that is reasonably affordable would be great!! Though I think the 5700, as fine a picture as it takes, has some drawbacks...shutter lag being one, and dealing with the pop-up flash unit and how it would work with an external unit, etc. But certainly worth investigating and I appreciate the information Deset Eagle!

Back
Top Bottom