Beginner Budget Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riceowls

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am finally comfortable enough with my underwater experience to want some pictures (mainly) and short videos on my next diving adventure. I don't want to overinvest since I am not sure how much I will enjoy that side of diving. From prior experience, I know that I would definitely not have time to extensively edit the photos - my nice DSLR stays at home, while I take my on-land pictures on my latest pixel phone (have been upgrading them regularly for the cameras) as it was so easy to quick-edit what I need on the go vs going to the pc, starting lightroom, etc. But I see there are AI-based apps and tools that do decent color-correction etc, e.g. Dive+ app so I think I can get away with not spending too much time on post-processing.

I actually own NIKON COOLPIX AW120 but some of my dives are over 18m and I think I was never happy with how good pics look. I think I need a decent strobe for good photos and I am not sure this is an option.

So I am thinking of about $500 budget to get a decent setup going but not sure which way to go:
1) Gopro with a decent video light.
2) Older camera with a housing(e.g. sealife) + strobe.
3) Phone case plus a good video light
4) Anything else?

At that budget you are looking at an older GoPro or phone case with an inexpensive video light. Underwater photography is expensive!

Going for a used setup can save you a lot, but it's a gamble. I did that and piked up an old Olympus TG-3 which I've absolutely loved, but sadly it looks like the electronics have finally gone. I'll go for a new camera this time, but it got me started and for the price I really can't complain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom