Niko Coolpix 5000 - firmware upgrade 1.7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack R

Reaction score
I dont know if anyone posted this yet or not but Nikon has just come out with a firmware upgrade for the cp5000. It has several new features. The biggest is that there is a setting to practically elimanate shutter lag.

you can see it on thier site. www.nikonusa.com

here is the direct link to the upgrade page

http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_tech_center/dtc_options.jsp?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25501

I copied this off thier site:

What is new/Content Description
The following improvements and additions have been made with firmware version 1.7.

Support for RAW (NEF) Image Quality
A RAW image-quality function has been added to the COOLPIX5000 firmware. When an image-quality setting of RAW is selected, "HI" blinks in the camera@apos;s control panel. Additionally, RAW images can be converted to TIFF using the cameras menu.

Control options for Shutter Release Speed
The Monitor Options item in the setup menu now contains a Shutter Release Speed setting that controls the speed of shutter response as follows.

Option "Normal": Priority given to quality of preview displayed in monitor.
Option "Quick Response": Reduces the time lag between pressing the shutter-release button all the way down and shutter being released to take a picture.

Internal Flash Off option
The Speedlight Control menu now contains an Internal Flash Off option that allows you to turn the built-in Speedlight off entirely. The built in Speedlight will still fire if red-eye reduction is "on" only to reduce red-eye; it will not fire during the actual exposure. Additionally, the internal flash will fire a monitor pre-flash (but not an actual exposure flash) if a Nikon Speedlight is connected.

Support for Picture Transfer Protocol
PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) option is now available in the USB menu in the Interface setting for the setup menu in User Sets 1, 2 and 3.

Support for Exif 2.2
The COOLPIX5000 firmware version 1.7 now supports Exif (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras) version 2.2, a standard that allows information stored with photographs to be used for optimal color reproduction when images are output on Exif-compliant printers. PRINT Image Matching (PIM) is no longer supported by COOLPIX5000 firmware version 1.7. Users who require PIM should not apply this update.

Improvements in LCD monitor display
The LCD monitor has been improved to allow better display of images when viewing in dark surroundings. Monitor brightness has also been improved.

Shutter speed information corrected when using BULB exposure
Previously when shooting an image with a BULB exposure time of more than 100 seconds, the shutter speed information recorded in the shooting information was incorrect. This has now been fixed.

Improvements in autofocus performance
Autofocus performance has been improved.

Very interesting news, I've been considering to get me the 5000, but the somewhat negative comments in reviews about the shutter-lag and the limited autofocus performance have made me hesitate.

I wonder if anyone around here actually uses the 5000 for UW-photos, what the experiences with the cam are and if you are satisfied with the quality of the pics and last not least if the Firmware Upgrade keeps what it promises...

Back
Top Bottom