Night time settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All!
What settings do you change your camera to to shoot at night. I use a DS51 strobe with a flashlink hook-up, (not TTL). So do I change my internal settings at all?
Thanks Cheddar

I am assuming you have a focus light (either built into your existing strobe or seperate)? My method was never scientific. When I got underwater and at a reasonable depth, I would find something to shoot and adjust my strobe power until I got a reasonable shot. I then used those settings until something changed around me or the dive ended (at night I rarely switched between WA and macro so when I set-up it was for one or the other).

From this point on I am showing my best guesses only as I only started using "non-AUTO" settings when I got my XSi. I would personally think that because you have a strobe and a focus light (assumption) that you would want your camera settings to be somewhat similar to a daytime shot. The strobe will provide a fair bit of light for your camera to use. Obviously you will beed to account for the motion of your subject (possible) and of you (possible).

I anxiously await the "less newb" answers.

Hi- for night shots the strobe provides the full exposure so use you strobe tables as the setting. You will need a focus light so af works. My settings are below but most cameras would be close.
nikon d40x camera-asa 100, film speed 100, fstop f13, strobe on 1/2 power. The shots on these settings work to 2 feet on 1/2 power and beyond full power. You will get rich saturated colors and lots of depth of field. I don't shoot at night beyond 3 feet as the macro life and fish life keeps me busy. In the day i use the same settings so i get lots of depth of field. I have found most digital cameras like f8,f4.5 which has no depth of field.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom