Night dving in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To Cool Tech from the author of the thread (Rhino0434),
I don't think anyone was implying that YOU would steal it, but in my 43 years of diving I have had quite a few things "walk off" from my vehicles, blankets, you name it. The world is a crazy place. The strobe would be underwater, as a marker for the exit anyway, and secured to a rock or similar outcropping and is marked to leave it there. It would be set upon our decent, and taken upon our exit. However, considering the advice against using one, I have decided not to bother. Thanks to all who responded.

If I look around and see no one in the area, I assume someone has mistakenly dropped it and I know I would like to get it back if it were mine. If I leave it there (unless it is marked like the OP has stated above) it will surely be gone by morning. I would, as stated, take it to the dive shop we were diving with and ask them to call around for someone who has lost it as I have with other gear found such as reels, safety sausages and a Sea&Sea camera. If you imply that I would "snag it" as to steal it, you are the biggest arse hole on this board.

Every dive site has a buoy near the edge of wall and most (even if you haven't seen it) have some form of markers down to 40-45'

Easy killer.... all was said in jest! However, We are talking about Bonaire correct? Maybe I missed em' but I have done plenty of night dives around Bonaire and for the life of me, I can not think of one dive site (outside any resort) that is marked under water to lead to the exit... I know Buddy Dive is marked cause I stayed there last year. Two months ago, I spent another 2 weeks staying at the Yacht club hotel... and I honestly do not remember seeing one marker! I am NOT saying your wrong and with full disclosure, I have @ 70-75 dives with approximately 20 night dives myself as we doubled up a couple night dives e.g. hit "Oil Slick" then head out to the Hilma Hooker" Some were repeats cause I like splashing in on "Oil Slick", "Hooker", and on sunny days with little to no current, "Invisible's" is terrific for fish life... Not the large Tarpon but its like a huge nursery school for fish... But I have probably dove 45 or so different sites

And to the OP... The glo tube (Not a LP fan but the do carry them) works well enough for me and I would still suggest it IF you plan to night dive on other sites away form the resorts... FYI, moonless or cloudy night and it can get pretty dark out past the salt pier... Heck, most all places outside of town... May never use it but I like knowing I have it just in case I do want it... It would take a brave man/woman to dive Oil Slick on a moonless night without a strobe of some sorts... FYI, its about a 8-10' drop off a rock ledge and you only have a ladder to get out with... you don't find that ladder, not really sure how far you would have to swim to get out! You will see, its a nice little jump in...

You can find fairly large Tarpon in the deep water at Bachelors Beach in the day time just hanging out... Windsock (the dive site and not the resort) had a couple of seahorses on it two months ago. Since I like to try and find them myself, I wish I knew sooner than I did, we found out the day before we left there were two on the reef. I am just not a fan of a DM pointing one out to me... don't mind, but I rather find my own. Found one on Oil Slick last year (well, my friend did) but none at all this last trip. You might want to ask the dive shop your using for the latest poop on whats where...

One more thing about the Tarpon, besides scaring the living snot out of you the first couple of time on a night dive... although we did see a few on night dives I have to say they were quite active at Buddy Dive's dive site (4-5 keeping close waiting for a quick snack to get illuminated)... heading out and to the right (follow the traffic) and I would believe its the same at the other dive resorts... Personally, I don't care to do the night dive at Buddy's due to all of the traffic... but its a easy safe spot for the first night dive if someone was a bit anxious.

Don't know who your renting tanks from but we have rented both Buddy and Wanna dive and we will be renting from Buddy from now on... But that's another thread...

Next time I will pay closer attention to those markers leading you out and back in on the entry's and exits... Reminds me... Some of the sites out by the Salt Pier e.g. Invisibles, Toris Reef can be a bit of a swim out... I stay on top on the way out until I hit the reef and then I head down; I use the swim back as my safety stop but keep an eye out for the Rays... Its sandy in this area and you can find em' on your way back...

Best to you and have a blast... Not so funny but the Lion fish are more plentiful and larger this year than they were last year; go figure!!! Damn shame...

and again, CoolTech... it was in jest and meant no disrespect...

lee

PS even thought its not the cold season, carry some sudafed with you as there is none on the island... We have decided that from now on, we will leave behind any remaining sudafed with a dive shop so those in need might be able to find some...

We use our marker strobe on night dives (as well as tank lights), for me it's an added measure of comfort. Agreed while easy to night dive, sometimes you miss your mark on the way back. We usually swim out to marker line and clip it off about 10 - 15 feet off bottom, note depth and off we go. Have never had a problem with it walking away. Have seen them flashing from other dive sites as we drive around at night. Traditional 'glow sticks' are illegal on Bonaire. LED battery powered are fine.

I have only been to Bonaire once and did a few night dives right in front of our hotel (Captain Don's). We saw tons of life there every night so don't think that you need to go way out and take a risk at a place like Oil Slick just to night dive. Plus its nice to come in on the hotel dock and go right up to your room... Although if I was with someone that was willing, I'd probably try it. :D

+1 on the Tarpon comment. One of them scared the hell out of us on a night dive.

I hate to hear about the lionfish problem...back in 2006 there were ZERO. It's crazy how fast they have spread.

not specific to Bonaire, but we will leave a strobe underwater at night if it seems it will be useful for finding the exit. And we have never lost one. I don't see how a strobe left as a marker can be mistaken as "accidentally left" by another diver. We're always going to find a place or way to secure it, not just leave it lying loose on the bottom.

So the traditional type of glow sticks are illegal in Bonaire? I haven't heard that before and we were planning to bring a few for night diving next month.

Of note, my friends just got back from Bonaire and they said they were eaten alive by sandflies. Been there twice, never got bitten--what's going on?

Last edited:
BTW, look at my userpicture. This is Charlie, the resident tarpon at Sand $, on a night dive.

Sand fleas? Did they say where, what site or all over??? We are headed there late August, so maybe the critters will be gone??? I am sure the mosquitos won't be though! KEN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom