Night diving without a light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On night dives I use to hold the front end of my light to my wetsuit to hide the light. I do not ever turn off the light. With the light hidden, I move energically my free hand to see the boiluminicense. It´s a beautiful moment.

Back in the 80s I used to put my dive light in my pocket and spend alot of the dive in the dark. I was anywhere between 20-60 ft deep. It was completly different than diving with my light on. The visibility was always almost unlimited (and stating the obvious there was no coral reefs there). I urge every one who dives at night to take some time on their next dive and dim your lights. You wont be disappointed.

I urge every one who dives at night to take some time on their next dive and dim your lights. You wont be disappointed.

Completely agree. I do it all the time, especially off Catalina and San Clemente Island. Its amazing how much you see when the water is clear and you have a good moon.

I think all you people who think there is no light should give it a try, with or without a full moon. Once you are established, know where you are, and know you aren't running into some coral, turn off the lights (or cover them) and just watch. Wait a while for your eyes to adjust. You will be amazed at what you will see.

depending upon where you are in the world, you will see that all sorts of critters create their own light. It isn't a lot, but it is there. You may see little sparkles around you, especially in the sandy areas. I once wrote my name on the surface of a rock by quickly tracing the letters next to it and watching the bioluminescence shine out until it faded away (doesn't take long). Shapes will appear and move around. You will be amazed at how well you can see.

I have spent the majority of a night dive with my light off, and loved every minute of it.

Be sure it's secured before you turn it off; be sure it's on before you unsecure it for use. Other than that, you'll find sufficient light at greater depths than you'd think. Enjoy.

I have done several quarry night dives totally by moon light it is really pretty cool but I am very familiar with the site.
I always carry several lights though just in case.
On one such dives it was like the movie where the big tiger shark attached the one diver.
Shadows can get you cranked up it was a riot!

CamG

I agree. The first time I covered or turned off my light was on my first night dive in 1987. I have spent at least part of every night dive since with the light off. You will be amazed at what you can see in the ocean with your light off. It is an entirely different world.

No light night dives are pretty fantastic, if you've taken the precautions mentioned by previous posters. You can add a 6 inch green chemlite to you and your buddy's tank strap to keep track of each other (try tying it on with line). I found yellow too bright, and red can be hard to pick up if your buddy gets away from you. If you tend to dive tight with your buddy, red won't interfere with your night vision.

I went diving with a guy that had about 4,000 dives - he didn't use a light either for the same reasons you said. But he kept a light on him just incase. As an instructor, I would always recommend diving with a light. As an experienced diver...the "full moon" dive without a light is on my bucket list. Just be safe. Cheers!

I do it in the Caribbean. About 1/2 the time on several night dives. We both carry low-level tank flashers so we can find each other if needed. I also often turn my light off if someone else nearby has one. One of my buddies does most of his night diving using just the focus light on his Ikelite strobe. Mostly staying 20' or so off the bottom in areas where the bottom depth is consistent.

People do it on Bonaire all the time, the water is so clear that if there's any moonlight you can see pretty well. Swirl your hands thru the water and it is quite the light show - a lot of the macro animals give off a phosphorescence when disturbed.

One of the ultimate no-lights dives is Pelagic Magic off Kona. At least for part of it all the lights are off. Someone once posted they were "bumped" by a couple of reef sharks there once. That might be a little too intense..

Pelagic Magic Black Water Night Dive : Jack's Diving Locker

Almost as good are the sunrise dives. We did one in Turks/Caicos off the Explorer. You actually go in when it's still very dark - at least in the water - then wait for sunrise and watch the reef wake up. And all the night feeders hide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom