Night diving or low viz diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased the league when I did my AOW just to peak into something while underwater it fits in my pocket and does what I intended it for, the shockwave was a gift and I agree is it not very bright especially for its size. I have been looking into other lights since I am planning on doing wreck speciality this summer. Trying to decide what is the best route to go I do like the idea of the dx600 with the hand strap.

---------- Post added January 1st, 2015 at 02:09 PM ----------

I was checking out the dgx600 and it is twist on... I like the idea of switch or button better... I have seen too many twists flooded... Do they have switched model?

they don't, but the Hog Morph 1000 is button style. Twist ons only flood if you twist them the wrong way, there's 3 o-rings in there, it won't flood unless you unthread it all the way. Do yourself a favor and either make Dive Right in Scuba your local dive shop, or at least go there for most of your purchases. They are about 40 miles from downtown just north of Joliet. They will be able to help you out. Many divers use Mike and his team as our primary dive shop for gear despite having never been there or met them in person. They are that good. It's worth the drive. They will have the Morph 1000 in stock for you to look at as well as a few other lights in stock and you can go in the classroom and compare them to your lights while you're there. They will also be able to help you with any other gear purchases since they are highly qualified in all aspects of diving. They also run a really nice charter on the lake, so there's that too.

DiveRightInScuba has a nice little light too that give off a ton of light in a nice tight beam.

I Go to DRIS as often as possible. They have a fill deal we pay $50 for the year unlimited fills keeps us going back... There are some other good shops too like undersea scuba in Addison and sealevel diving in crystal lake. DRIS is really far south for me but they are great planning to do one of their charters this summer...

By the way...great screen name!

By the way...great screen name!

Thanks I can not take credit ... My brother in law cam up with it... He is Doc Ock. It goes with the whole friendly octopus scuba thing.

Nothing wrong with using a marker light, I usually put one on my tank valve at night since I have them. But decorating yourself like a Christmas tree really isn't the answer. If you are using a light appropriate to the dive, it should make you plenty visible, more so than a marker light because it's presumably bigger and brighter and illuminating things around you, and won't be blocked by your body or gear.

It's still probably worth having a marker light in your gear bag. Mostly because if you are night diving with an op many will require one of some sort. (Ops that do will typically have glow sticks to sell you if you don't have something.) Electric ones aren't that expensive and if you night dive much they should eventually be cheaper than chemical glow sticks, plus some places actually don't allow the disposable sticks.

Whatever you do, please don't hang a flashing light on yourself as a marker. They're annoying to people around you, and sometimes misleading because they are usually used to mark the boat or another exit location.

In the last almost ten years, I've gone through a lot of lights. Switches seem attractive, but switches fail . . . and if they have to perforate the hull of the light, they flood. Twist lights don't flood unless you are careless with them. We have a collection of the Dorcy Penetrators, and several Halcyon Scouts that have been repurposed with LED modules. They are reliable, simple lights.

Just don't ever use a battery powered marker light because it is "greener" than a glo-stick. Battery plants are literally "hell on earth".

When i nite dive with a buddy i like glo sticks on the valve so if turned away we can still see each other. Its kind of surprising how dark a turned away buddy is. Haven't been in 5 ft viz for a long time and probably wouldn't bother continuing the dive if it was just a fun dive. Not sure if glo sticks are bright enough to help much in that bad quality of murk. They do have battery powered u/w flashers available that might be better to attach to valve or back of tank in those crappy conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom