Night diving in day time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this: sometimes I go on a training dive in an outdoor hole which has a maximum depth of 28 metres, that usually happens on week afternoons when I manage to get out of the office at a decent time or when I just have time for one dive, since it's the closest open water we have (half an hour away from home).

If you descend beyond 5-6 metres, sometimes even shallower, the water is totally black, no better than a moonless night dive, without the otpion of bioluminescence.

In my mind, this is nothing else than a night dive in disguise, any opinions?

Sometimes it is like that in Singapore, although lately it has been better. I figure it counts as practise for night diving.

When I finally did a night dive, some things were different. Gearing up took longer in the dark. Striding into the water, and starting the descent, both seemed less appealing -- but then I am a coward. Plus the final stage of the ascent was harder to judge. During the day, the light permeates the first few metres. At night it was harder to see the surface.

Have you dived at night? Does it seem the same to you?

Zept

Yes, I've been night diving, although not as often as I would like.

The first few times we tried to get into the water early, or at least to get the gear ready before total darkness, but I see your point.

I've also dived with an almost full moon, almost no need for a torch, very impressive!

Mind you, I like my hole into blackness, but I miss warm water night diving, I hope to make up for that in just under four weeks.

That kind of conditions occur all the time - and for many purposes "Restricted vision" diving could be considered the same as night diving - say for DM qual dives for leading tours, etc...

BUT - - - there are differences - the fishies and the night creatures definitely know that difference - I'll see different behaviours - sleeping fish, night feeders, etc.... when doing a "real" night dive.

I was just asking for opinions, I'm not interested in taking a specialty course, my next certification, if ever, will be Instructor.

I know fish life is different, but it only applies to the sea and some inland locations, not my beloved hole.

Below about 25' my local lake becomes a real dark night dive - with a standard light, I can't see my hands. HID is the only thing that comes close to cutting the blackwater. We treat it as super-night dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom