Night Diving All Around Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpenders

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
WA state regs state that an all around light with a vertical pattern of red - white - red is required when diving at night. I'm not having much luck finding something to satisfy this requirement that is ready-made. Anyone know where I might locate one?

That is the light sequence for a vessel that is restricted in ability to maneuver not just engaged in diving. Most commercial vessels are equipped to show this sequence of lights.
I know of no ready made lights for personal recreational boats. Just show an around white anchor light and dive flag or make your own.

International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rule 27 ) A vessel engaged in dredging or underwater operations, when restricted in her ability to manoeuvre, shall exhibit the lights and shapes prescribed in sub-paragraphs (b)(i), (ii) and (iii) of this Rule and shall in addition, when an obstruction exists, exhibit:

1. two all-round red lights or two balls in a vertical line to indicate the side on which the obstruction exists;
2. two all-round green lights or two diamonds in a vertical line to indicate the side on which another vessel may pass;
3. when at anchor, the lights or shapes prescribed in this paragraph instead of the lights or shape prescribed in Rule 30.

(e) Whenever the size of a vessel engaged in diving operations makes it impracticable to exhibit all lights and shapes prescribed in paragraph (d) of this Rule, the following shall be exhibited:

1. three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;
2. a rigid replica of the International Code flag "A" not less than 1 metre (3.3 ft) in height. Measures shall be taken to ensure its all-round visibility.

That's pretty much what I've found too - lights more designed for commercial vessel use, but nothing 'plug and play' that could just be mated to the all-around fixture already installed in the boat. Guess I need to get creative if I plan to follow the regs.

I've looked long and hard for something appropriate to my 17' Boston Whaler, without success. I've got a friend who wrapped red and white LED strips around a tube. I think what I'll end up doing is putting three LED clusters like these:

G4 Tower LED Lamps Specifications

inside an acrylic tube with two pieces of smaller acrylic tube to keep them separated, and plug it into the cigarette lighter outlet. Not USCG approved, but it'll work. I've got the LED clusters, need a chance to get to TAP Plastics for the tube. I'm not in a rush, I don't night dive much and it's not required in California.

There's a market here (no, I'm not getting into it.).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom