Night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had any bad experiences---'string of pearls' one nite on Roatan & diving Spooky Channel there @ BIBR both stand out in my mind...

I aplogize for the lengthy post and I don't mean this in any self agrandizing manner. The following is an excerpt from "Out of the Blue-Inspirational Stories for Scuba Divers", but it documents the best night dive I can remember.

"Night dives can sometimes reveal something unexpected but altogether spectacular.
I once descended down the mooring line toward a reef, my light falling upon little else but my dive partner and the thick rope. We were a party of scientists and educators exploring the Flower Gardens Banks off the coast of Texas. At about sixty feet, something flashed past my mask, winking with a pale but stark bluish light. It was some small bioluminescent sea creature, and I marveled at its brief, firefly-like appearance. It was a filamentous strand about eight
inches long with seven or eight tiny lights strung along its threadlike body. Each light, starting at the bottom, would light up and wink out in sequence, then the process would start over. I had never seen anything like that before underwater. My attention refocused on the descent, but more of the little organisms glided past me on the current. On a whim, I turned off my
light and my eyes adjusted to the darkness. Only it wasn’t “dark”.
Hundreds, no thousands...no, millions of the tiny creatures hung in the water column all around us. I urgently rapped my dive partner’s tank and motioned for him to kill his light, and he did so. In fact, all the other divers in the party did the same thing. As their lights
winked out, the true nature of the incredible spectacle made itself known.
Those little creatures close to us lit up clearly. Others, farther away, glowed and gleamed. The millions of others in the distance blurred together in a bluish glow that extended as far as the eye
could see. It was like swimming in the middle of the Milky Way, that pale iridescence that extends across a clear summer sky. As the whole moving panoply of living light moved by us on the current, I could only marvel at the truly spectacular beauty of God’s creations.
Later, back on the boat I asked one of our resident marine biologists what the little creatures were and how often they appeared in such remarkable numbers.
“I have no idea,” he replied. “I’ve been out here on hundreds of dives, and I’ve never seen anything like it either.”

Last edited:
Oh, Guba, that's a lovely story, and not in any way too long a post!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom