Night dives with your camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hory

Contributor
Reaction score
Would be interested to hear from you how you setup your rigs with a torch for night dive use. Pictures of your setup would be highly appreciated.

Will the torch influence in anyway how the camera behaves when taking pictures (ie., it factors the torch light in its auto focus and auto exposure)?

The rig and the torch will naturally become negatively bouyant. Any tips on how to make in neutrally bouyant?

Best,
Hory

I use a UK CL-4 as an aiming light for my strobe, which also becomes my night light when I'm doing night photography. Since I use the light as an aiming light during the day as well, nothing changes between my "night" and "day" camera setups (NikV, 1 or 2 Ike 50 strobes).

Alan

I have an Ikelite DS125 strobe which has a built in modeling light. I use the modeling light as my night dive light source also.

Basically, you will need some source of modeling light so that your camera can see the object and auto focus on it.
If your strobe does not have builit in modeling light, it is probably a good idea to attach the torch/flashlight right on top of your strobe so you will also know that the strobe is aimed properly.
Generally, choose torch/flashlight that has good dispersion rather than a bright spot light so you won't get strong hot spot in the picture.

I use a Princeton Tec Attitude LED light secured in a bracket under my PT-10 housing. The light is a white light that does not show up in the photos. I also use a small light the same size secured to my strobe for aiming.

You have to be careful that your light has a diffused beam so it doesn't show as a hot spot in your photos. For a cheap fix for virtually any light....Take a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and ball it up. Then spread it out, leaving in plenty of wrinkles. Now use this foil to line the reflector of your light of choice. Works like a charm!

Back
Top Bottom