Night Dive, Tank Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomgrogan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there one that is reliable. Princeton Tec Eco Flare sometimes works; sometimes does not. Hard to tell if it is the light bulb, the batteries, both or just plain does not work. I get tired sending there units back. Does not exactly instill confidence. Any suggestions?:depressed:

I bought some cheap (Innovative Solutions I think) tank marker a year ago before I realized they were useless in Lake Travis. I actually used it for the first time on 4 night dives in the Bahamas last week. It worked just fine.....

...other then the part of me that thinks this is about a useless requirement these days. I carry a 1000 lumen canister light and 2 1000 lumen backup lights. Whats the point of this little "tank marker" ??

I got one for $15 that comes on when it hits water and has many hours of use it claims

If they are bright enough to see in poor or worse visibility, then they are a PITA to other divers (flashing in their eyes). Personally, with the brightness of current LED torches, I see no reason for anyone to use. I should add that we do a night dive every Thursday night weather permitting, and I cannot think of a single time in the past 10 years where one would have been of a benefit to anyone.

Reactions: jbb
If they are bright enough to see in poor or worse visibility, then they are a PITA to other divers (flashing in their eyes).
I have a glo-toob in blue, and I really like it. It can be set for a slow bright then fade pattern that is very bright, but doesn't end up being too distracting. My girlfriend and I both have them on our rigs.

I cannot think of a single time in the past 10 years where one would have been of a benefit to anyone.
I have found these to be quite helpful for several reasons. The main one is for drift diving in a group. The beacon is very easy to identify, and it makes picking your buddy out of a group very quick and easy. Even if someone else in the group has the same color as I do (which I haven't seen happen yet - though I have seen several people with the green ones), it can easily be set to a different pattern to differentiate the 2. It's also nice if I am leading one of these dives, because other divers have told me it makes it very easy for them to find me quickly. Finally, it does have the added advantage of being seen from the back. From behind, or even better, ABOVE, people are very easy to keep an eye on. In crummy viz situations (which are much more common here than for you in Sydney -- lucky you), I have certainly had situations where I saw someone's tank light before I saw their flashlight. Not everyone springs for a nice bright LED, sadly. And not everyone with a low tech non LED light is kind enough to be shining it at you while you are looking for them.

Just my .02 on these. But I really like them. But clown, if you would like to prove me wrong, I'd be HAPPY to swing back out to Sydney and dive with you. I loved diving out there, and catching a night dive with you guys sounds like a great time! :)

eight divers on a night river drift in 10' vis.... I'll choose a subtle tank marker light...

the "dancing" red is more my choice than a strobe. We use strobes to mark up--lines/moorings, exit points on shore, and floats at night.....

Unlike the OP, I have had good luck with Princeton Tech lights....

ymmv

I tried a glotoob but it failed fairly quickly and I don't like special batteries but I really liked one product that simple encased a LED microlight but again it quit working quickly. ok I found it. I thought this offered the best visibility but again the little light inside failed.

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-LLW-07-02-Waterproof-Safetysr=1-27&keywords=scuba+marke

I don't like wasteful chem lights. I've tried Krill Lights - not too annoying but you can't change from flashing to steady as you have to pick the model you want. I went with green. Unfortunately my rechargable AA batteries don't fit inside.

AA Krill Lights

I have also got some of these Tooblites but they are only good for decent visibility in the pretty clear water. I went with the solid sticks as they were cheaper and I didn't really see that the Scubalite would be brighter. I have the sheet product and it works well as a night stand glow for most of the night. I expect you would need to recharge it during a dive with your flashlight.

Products - 4EverLight - Home of the Amazing Light & Reusable Glow Sticks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom