Night dive spots besides Breakwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zalophus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anybody out there have a favorite night diving spot in Monterey/Carmel besides the Breakwater? I am looking to do some more night dives, and want to expand out. I was thinking Monastery South on a nice flat night...

South Monastery is nice, but the Harbor Seals will hunt by your light and scare the bejeezus out of you. If you look at a fish for too long, they'll swoop in and eat it.

Ballbuster is another nice night dive, but you obviously need a boat to get out there. Depending on the time of the year, Market Squid will be all over.

My first thought was MacAbee Beach depending on how crowded the parking is at the restaurant, even though you get free parking when you eat at El Toritos, would hate to have some gear get run over while donning. Would take full advantage of the parking, by doing a dive in the late afternoon if conditions look good and because I haven't had a chance to dive or eat there yet. For a surface interval off course have something to eat at the restaurant and work off the meal with a night dive, and possibly a margarita afterward.

How about Lover's Point? There is a nice park, and a stair entry if you go at high tide.

Awesome, thanks everyone. I think I am going to try Monastery South when a nice night comes around. Being scared to death by harbor seals sounds like a whole lot of fun!

One thing to think about is if you have an accident or need assistance you will have a hard time flagging someone down at Monastery. If possible bring some shore support to at least dial 911 for you.

FWIW: We had a harbor seal hunting in our lights on our New Year's Eve dive:

[video=youtube_share;8N1m4992Znw]http://youtu.be/8N1m4992Znw[/video]

The kill is around the 6 minute mark.

I have zero experience so far night diving in Monterey but would be interested. I have lots of night diving experience in the tropics: a very different thing.

I dived Carmel Beach (river) a week ago Saturday and it was excellent. Perhaps it would be a bit safer then Monastery? I believe it is more protected. I think some shore support there also would be good.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom