Night Dive Photos Help Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshallkarp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went for my first night dive in over thirty year on Saturday at Gilboa Quarry. I took alot of underwater photos in the ink black and eerie landscape. Really there were only two that came out any good and they are here:

www.marshallkarp.com.

I would see something with the flashlight beams at maybe 10 to 15 feet and take the picture. Looking at the rejects, it appears the flashpoint was at about one yard and my subject may have gotten some left over residual flash light.

I see this as learning curve time. Does anyone have some suggestions for me as to taking better night dive photos. Thanks.

If you have to be close during the day, you must be closer for just an internal flash to have any effect at night. The biggest problem is the camera needs light to focus by. In the 2 that did turn out did you point you flashlight at the subject?

What kind of camera and flash/strobe? An internal flash is good to maybe 3 ft at best, anything past that and your out of range. If your camera has a focusing light, make sure it can come on and has an open view of the subject.

herman:
What kind of camera and flash/strobe? An internal flash is good to maybe 3 ft at best, anything past that and your out of range. If your camera has a focusing light, make sure it can come on and has an open view of the subject.

The camera is a Sony Cybershot DSC-P100. I was using the camera's flash. I do have a slave flash that fires off the camera's flash and an Otterbox to put this in. I wondering how would you suggest that I work this for an external flash?

G'Day Mate,:wink:

Initially, i would probably try and stick to macro. Get used to taking images underwater at 'night', then start to add to your setup once your comfortable. Macro will be exposed nicely usually just with your standard inbuilt flash. (Just for starters, then start to mix things up a little with light angles etc.)

It will always be dificult when you yourself arent extremly relaxed. :wink:

Do you find any little shrimp or something that will pose nicely for you?

Yours Truly,
Carl Fallon:14:

Seeing as you're from Ohio and diving in a quarry with limited visibility, unless you're planning on traveling somewhere where the water is much clearer and full of little things to shoot (unless you like shooting macros of zebra mussels and rocks), you may find that shooting at night is going to require some investment in external lighting.

I do a lot of wide angle wreck photography, and while I generally prefer to shoot during the day, at times, there can be little ambient light which, for all intents and purposes, makes it really a night-like dive. The issues at night, for me, is having sufficient light for the camera to focus properly, as well as having sufficient lighting to illuminate your subject area.

The issue I find with shooting wide angle and using the modeling lights on your strobe is that the strobes are generally not pointed at where the camera needs the light to focus. I've attached a focus light to my setup to assist specifically for focusing, but the issue with this is that the light is really not strong enough to assist for the wide out shots (eg. shooting the stern of a wreck, for example). If it *is* strong enough, then you end up with a star wars like beam in your shot (interesting in a few shots for the effect, but really, I wouldn't want all my shots like that). An actual focus light synced with your camera to shut off while it fires the shutter may be the answer, but in general they are pretty expensive and in the end, I don't know if they'd be powerful enough to serve my purpose.

So what would I suggest? Well, having external strobes is pretty well a given unless you're shooting up close or macro. As well, a focusing light will help as well, but if you're any distance more than a few feet out, it may not work so well. What I do often on night-like dives is to use my HID in my left hand to point to the focus area, lock focus with my camera, move the HID away (while holding the frame, shutter button pressed half way - not too hard to fire, and not too light to lose the lock) and then fire. It's a lot to do all at once, but it seems to work reasonably well. Sometimes I fire without moving the HID beam - that will happen once in a while.

Here are a few shots I took of a wreck called the Boland in Lake Erie last week on a night dive. I used the HID to assist focus. As you can see in the stern shot, I left the beam in. The others, I moved them.

My buddy Rob heading along the wreck.
erie-aug2007-10.jpg

My other buddy Kevin following up with me at the rear.
erie-aug2007-11.jpg

The overturned stern.
erie-aug2007-12.jpg

erie-aug2007-13.jpg

Inside a cargo hold
erie-aug2007-14.jpg

marshallkarp:
I went for my first night dive in over thirty year on Saturday at Gilboa Quarry. I took alot of underwater photos in the ink black and eerie landscape. Really there were only two that came out any good and they are here:

www.marshallkarp.com.

I would see something with the flashlight beams at maybe 10 to 15 feet and take the picture. Looking at the rejects, it appears the flashpoint was at about one yard and my subject may have gotten some left over residual flash light.

I see this as learning curve time. Does anyone have some suggestions for me as to taking better night dive photos. Thanks.

I leave my Canon A570 on SCN with the UW filter in place & on macro(with the flash on of course...lol).....Stay close(within 3 feet) & you'll be fine...Look @ my pictures, I only uploaded one from a nite dive in LC, the big stoplight parrot fish...Had others but didn't take the time to upload them(shot mainly video- which worked out perfectly btw- that nite)...

EDIT...I looked @ the links in my sig & it's the 2nd picture in the last link, entitled hursday071207......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom