Nicotine Patch and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Babukins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Guys,

I've finally decided to quit smoking and currently on the Nic Patch this week. I can't seem to find much information on the net, but does anyone know if there have been studies done about not diving with the patch, etc?

Thanks!

Effect of Diving on the Nicotine Patch
The effects of diving on nicotine should not be any different with the patch than the effects of diving after smoking. The difference is the continued effect of the patch, whereas the smoker dives after a nicotine load and has a load of carbon monoxide to contend with.

A problem might arise with a change in the the release and absorption of the drug from saturation with saltwater. This is only a supposition as the effect of bathing has been taken into account by the drug company.

Pressure would have no effect as the drug is not in gaseous form. Another possibility is that the saltwater might increase the chance of dermal reaction to the patch -- a side effect that already is fairly high with it's use.

Finally, one must consider the possible physiological changes of the combined effects of nicotine and cold water immersion or just simple immersion. To my knowledge, there have been no studies on this subject.

http://www.scuba-doc.com/smkndvng.htm

I recall somewhere, a post where a diver had a heart attack on a boat in Ft Lauderdale. The cause was rumored to have something to do with the nicotine patch he was wearing at the time.

I dont recall any credible sources in the post, ie. news links or an ME report, nor can I find the post, but it is something to consider.

Thanks guys...I couldn't find much online either.

I suppose I may just lay off the patch the night before a dive and resume hours after the dive.

Babukins:
Thanks guys...I couldn't find much online either.

I suppose I may just lay off the patch the night before a dive and resume hours after the dive.

just bring some mints to suck on during the boat rides...

good luck on kicking the habit...
now I wonder how Larry's (thepurplehammerhead) doing with his cold turkey routine...:eyebrow: Maybe he can give u some moral support...

why don't you get on a treadmill or a bike and try to log-in some miles. as you stop smoking and develop your cardiovascular performance you will hopefully get inspired with the progress and not think of getting back to smoking. Not to mention a toned body that goes with regular running.

Babukins:
I'll need a lot of support...it's only day 3 and so far so good :)

you need gum or candy. they really help. no need for those fancy patch things. i quit myself. i do admit to lighting maybe a stick or two a month but compare that to almost 2 packs a day before i quit last january. the craving is not there anymore, it's all will power. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom