Nicoderm patch and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamieZ

Reaction score
# of dives
Has there ever been any studies or facts that Nicoderm patches have or will cause problems while diving. I have a buddy who is afraid of deco diving with the patch on. I agree with his assumptions. Is there any reason or info out there that says otherwise?:smoking:

Dear scubanarc:

I am not aware of any tests concerning these patches. I do know that some divers smoke cigarettes and nicotine is in their system. I have not seen any indication that tobacco use influences DCS risk. :rasta:
Smoking is, of course, bad for the lungs.:smoking:

Any others with thoughts on this?

Dr Deco :doctor:

I agree with your statement about allot of divers diving with nicotine in thier system but our concern was how the Nicoderm patch works and that is administrating a dosage, what ever that may be over a 24 hour period. My thoughts would be that it would maybe give higher dosages under pressure. I really dont know if this would be true. I dont think I would get a straight answer from the manufacture. Maybe this would be a good question for D.A.N. to research.

I have in the past dove with nicorette. Aside of the occasional conversation with fishes, I've noticed no ill effects [however I have a tendancy to have chats with animals anyway, so it might not be related].

However to answer your question, I believe John Reinertson gives the answer in this thread

Thanks for the link!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom