Nicaragua, Corn Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mermaidjade

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to head to the Corn Islands mid to late December. Looking for any information about the area. Anyone recently been there? How is the diving? How much time/diving is it worth doing there. From what i've seen December looks to be pretty rainy. How are the conditions and visibility? I've found some great information from Dolphin Dive on Little Corn, but the other dive shops info seems to be a bit outdated. Any info and recommendations is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Never been to Corn Island, so no advice there specifically. Having worked a lot in Central America though, December can be quite rainy. December is the end of the rainy season in general, so how rainy it is can be hit or miss. If you can put the trip off until mid Jan or later, the chances of rain really begin to diminish.

Did a little quick forum searching for some discussions that might help you, since I've heard of diving the Corn Islands reported by others only very sparsely.

Diving Over 50 Years Old (I'm linking to a post way out there in the thread. At least a few posts talk about Little Corn).

Nicaragua

That's just a little to start you off. Researching potential destinations can get to be work!

Richard.

I have some old trip reports on this forum you can check out. The diving is very weather dependent. Winds can keep you limited to a few sites. I love LC for its ambiance, vibe, and for a tropical island experience I love it. It has lots of local restaurants, and a few run by expats, and all have their advantages. LC will always hold a place in my heart.
From recent Facebook posts Casa Iguana is not currently operating, the staff there have always been wonderful but the owner ran it like a cash cow and neglected the staff, Dive Little Corn is also owned the the same person again great staff, but ownership is lacking.
There are many options for bungalows from $15 cabanas on the beach to upscale yoga resort, just take your pick!
If you like cozy tropical islands that have that 20 years ago feel to them, like interacting with locals and travellers alike, and want to get some decent Caribbean diving in while you are there LC just might fit your bill.

I have some old trip reports on this forum you can check out. The diving is very weather dependent. Winds can keep you limited to a few sites. I love LC for its ambiance, vibe, and for a tropical island experience I love it. It has lots of local restaurants, and a few run by expats, and all have their advantages. LC will always hold a place in my heart.
From recent Facebook posts Casa Iguana is not currently operating, the staff there have always been wonderful but the owner ran it like a cash cow and neglected the staff, Dive Little Corn is also owned the the same person again great staff, but ownership is lacking.
There are many options for bungalows from $15 cabanas on the beach to upscale yoga resort, just take your pick!
If you like cozy tropical islands that have that 20 years ago feel to them, like interacting with locals and travellers alike, and want to get some decent Caribbean diving in while you are there LC just might fit your bill.

I was in Providencia, which is relatively close to the Corn Islands about two weeks ago and the rain was minimal. On the few days it did rain, it lasted for 20-30 minutes and then cleared off.

I would HIGHLY recommend Little Corn and Dolphin Diving is a good operator there. Don't go expecting to do much other than dive and hang out, but that's the charm of the island for me. I have a trip report from a couple of years ago posted here.

If you go, post after and let us know how it was. And have a Tona for me!

LC is on the short bucket list!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom