Nha Trang, Vietnam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi I was wondering which dive operation you went with - I am in Vietnam and have to decide it I will dive in Nha Trang or in the Cham Islands...

It seems to me that diving in Nha Trang, and Vietnam in general, has been unfairly labeled as "too easy" and/or "only beginner/refresher dives". I'm not exactly sure how this came about, but I am trying to help set the record straight.

Yes, it is true that a lot of the dives here are shallow (~18m). However, there are great dive sites around Nha Trang that extend to 40+ meters easily, such as Lighthouse and Electric Nose. These sites have fantastic topography, wide varieties of hard and soft coral, and rare/unique macro life with the opportunity to see pelagic life as well.

Hon Mun Island, where most of the diving takes place here in Nha Trang, is a Marine Park, and thus is protected from fishing and development. As a result, the coral has remained quite healthy, and there is a good amount of marine life diversity existing there. It is a popular destination for underwater photographers and admirers of macro life.

That being said, if you are new to diving, Nha Trang truly is an excellent place to get started because there are many dive sites here that typically have favorable conditions for training. However, that is hardly the only diving attribute that Nha Trang has to offer.

I dived Nha Trang 13 years ago and it was pretty dire - memorable mostly for the recurring sound of dynamite fishing. While bombs going off seemingly all around (yes I'm aware of the physics that makes it impossible to judge sound direction/distance underwater) is certainly exhilarating, it wasn't my cup of tea. Vietnam had many other worthwhile attractions, diving wasn't one of them.

Perhaps things have changed in 13 years, I'm not sure?

@james - Sure, 13 years ago was a different story. Since Hon Mun Island and some of the surrounding Islands (such as Hon Rom, Hon Noc, Hon Vung and Hon Cao) became a Marine Protected Area (MPA) in 2002, education and enforcement of sustainable fishing practices have improved a lot and continues to grow in strength.

Of course, dynamite fishing still takes place in Vietnam, just like it does in every other SE Asian country where locals are trying to meet the incredible demand for seafood fueled by an ever expanding tourist industry

However, dynamite fishing certainly DOES NOT take place at dive sites in Nha Trang.

My suggestion to any travelers wanting to dive responsibly and help support sustainable eco tourism in Nha Trang would be to dive with operators who work closely and support organizations such as Project A.W.A.R.E., Green Fins, etc. as part of their daily operation.

The dive shop I work for makes a donation to Project A.W.A.R.E on behalf of each student we certify. We've also joined forces with Green Fins to help establish sustainable fishing industry practices and eco tourism here in Vietnam by promoting their code of conduct.

Also, skipping the Seafood buffet and BBQ wouldn't hurt either. :)

Last edited:
Nha Trang beach

Going to Nha Trang in January. I will try to fit in 2 or 4 dives.

Back
Top Bottom