Next

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
That's another project done.

Last Feb. I got hired to take over a software project in problems. They had "received" a budget and had spent 20% of it without delivering a single thing. No approach, no functional definition, no vision, no principles, no architecture, nothing. They didn't even have a firm statement of scope let alone buy-in or support from the business....bad bad bad.... Worse yet, they had hired a whole team of externals and had them doing stuff all in the wrong order, the software architecture was an unimaginable chaos, the architect had abandoned ship and when I came the project manager's lights had gone out for couple of weeks. (that's why they hired me)

Now *that's* MY kind of mess. I like stuff like this. The bigger the mess, the more I like it.

The only thing that wasn't changing was the deadline. The entire sector was going over on 1-1-2007 regardless of what was happening at my client. During the intake, we spoke about a lot of issues but when we talked about the amount of work to be done and how it had been structured, the project owner was *literally* biting his finger nails....

And no wonder.

So after looking it all over, we took the job with the commitment (addressing the nail biting) that whatever happened we'd be on time, fit for use, and the quality would be good.

But don't talk to me about budget. If the train is derailing and you have to pull hard on two corners of the project triangle, then you still need room to move... :)

We got agreement on this and away we went.

It wasn't easy. but skipping over a lot of stuff, we're done. Last week we delivered the last software in production (14 core-applications and a whole new database structure) and today we pulled "future" data through the system for a integration test and it's all sorted. Backwards and forwards compatible throughout the entire chain. I am one *very* happy camper.

My job is done. I can leave and the project owner is very happy with the result. We're the first company in the sector to be done and we're bragging about it publicly :) I even sent proof of us celebrating our success to the project manager at the "competitor", who happens to be a direct colleague of mine who was hired on his own "mission impossible". (I *know* he would have done it.... :wink:)

My boss the project owner is now biting his nails over how to explain the budget to the board....but oh well..... it's just money. Well... a whole truck load full but what the heck. It's all in the game, right?

I'm glowing and I intend to continue to glow until at least next Monday. :)

R..

Well....that's nothing compared to making HACMP work in the real world... :)

I should say, I was only the project manager in this. The team did it, not me. I was only the one slashing a path through the jungle and trying to convince people that we were *not* lost and that the finish line was *this* way... :wink:

You know what the secret to being a great project manager is? It's 10% knowing the details, 20% being skilled in your craft and 70% being very *very* picky about who you accept on your team and then steering them to perform to their highest potential. My biggest successes as a project manager are when I hear my team say "we could have done it without you". Those are the golden teams.

R..

Sometimes you have a lot of people who are good at what they do, but nobody who can see the big picture. Get somebody who can imagine the structure of a project and put all the pieces in place, and then make that person somebody who inspires you to do your absolute best, and you have a recipe for a success.

I suspect you're good at inspiring people. You certainly are here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom