Next step for G9+Ikelite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_spot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have G9 with the Ikelite housing. I loved it, but want to go further. Budget restraints mean I can't have everything I want, so I need advice on what to get next.

1. Strobe
2. WA lens / flat port

Dollar for dollar in added benefit, which is the best "next" purchase, with the end goal being to have both a WA wet lens and a (singular) strobe - Im not likely going to have dual strobes.

The next dive trip is March to Hawaii if that matters at all.

For the G9, no doubt your next purchase should be a Strobe. The DS-160 is my suggestion. If budget is real tight, I suggest a package with the Ikelite ball arm, but if possible, I highly suggest going with the Ultralight Control Systems arm package. If you really want to save money, pick up a used DS-125 strobe as there are a lot out there. We have 4 from customers in our store right now, and its a great way to save and be able to spend on the wide angle lens.

I agree - get the strobe. I got the WA lens and frankly, because you have to zoom out to avoid the vignetting and you have to be so close, I found the WA frustrating. It also messed up my ability to correctly guess the proper f stop etc.

Agreed, get a strobe before anything else. It will make all the difference in the world.

No doubt about it, an external strobe is the next most important piece of gear to add to your photo setup.

I have experimented with the Ikelite Auto 35 with my G9 and results in auto mode are not bad as long as you keep close to your subject. I especially like the way it works for macro mode. I want to play around more with the manual settings, but that will have to wait til next dive trip.:balloons:

Happy diving! BKPIX

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom