next camera purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BioG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for some advice about what to buy next for my UW Camera. It's basically a choice between getting a Wide Angle Lens or a strobe. I'm wondering which will help improve my photos/help me shoot more. I'd like to get both, and probally will eventually, but with the prices, I'll probally just get one for now

I've got a Oly 5050z with the PT-015 housing. I've taken photos with and without the on-board flash, and have noticed a huge difference in color. So maybe the on-board flash will last me for a while, but there's still a lot the flash can't handle.

I'm going to the Thousand Islands in Canada in Sept for some wreck diving, so I'm thinking big wrecks in clear water would probally call for a WAL, but I don't know if a strobe would be more important in that case.

I have no experience using strobes or Wide angle lenses, but I've been reading a lot on the internet. Thanks for any help!

-Steve

If wreck diving is next on your agenda, I would get wide angle lens first. Even with strobe, the flash will reach only 1-2m anyhow so it is not as if you will be able to light up the entire wreck. There are a lot of wreck shots that were taken with available light or even black and white that are incredible.

Yup, what he said :wink: Note that you will NOT be able to use the on camera flash with the WAL so all of your WAL shots will need to be with natural light and/or manual white balance.

For the type of diving/shots I like, the strobe is far more important that a WAL. But I like to get close and the colours and details are important to me.

What's best for you will have to be determined by which component you think you will use more often or sooner.

Have fun shopping!

I hate being a "yes man", but...

Yup, what they said.

All the best, James

Any tips shooting wrecks with wide angle. Mainly no strobe just use manual white balance ?
I'll diving Speigel Grove this weekend and using 5050 / Pt015 / Inon WAL / Inon D2000
This is the first time I have tried to shoot something this big.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

You can use your strobe for when you are close in - but remember that your strobe still only reaches for a few feet no matter what your lens sees :) Experiment with strobe/no strobe - you can get some awesome lighting effects on a wreck.

You don't need to mess around with MWB - shoot RAW. There's no difference in shooting RAW than JPEG bar a slightly longer write time...which, with a wreck that doesn't move very fast, probably won't be an issue :wink: The extra write time will also encourage you to slow down and really consider your next shot. Then you have maximum control of the image and can try different looks (leave one as is, adjust for white balance, really darken shadows etc) for each shot to see what works best. This will be a better use of the limited time you have underwater than fiddling with a slate.

Looking forward to seeing them.

alcina:
Yup, what he said :wink: Note that you will NOT be able to use the on camera flash with the WAL

...because the WAL is so big it blocks the internal strobe.

I have tried to do MWB with the WAL on deep dives (as most wreck dives are) and only got funky colors after processing. So as alcina suggests and if you have the software to do it shoot in RAW. Also as the others have said Wrecks look GREAT in Black and White! The contrast is dramatic and you should be able to get the shot with available light.

Good luck and have fun!

AIm yourself with sun behind you to light up larger parts of the wreck. Get below and shoot toward the sun to creat silhouttes, i would try to partially obscure the sun with a kingpost or something as well to create rays and avoid the blotchy digital sun

And of course have fun with your new upright wreck!

cardzard:
Any tips shooting wrecks with wide angle. Mainly no strobe just use manual white balance ?
I'll diving Speigel Grove this weekend and using 5050 / Pt015 / Inon WAL / Inon D2000
This is the first time I have tried to shoot something this big.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Since you already have a strobe, I would definitely use it as well. I love close up wide angle type of shot. You can light up the foreground with your strobe and have a nice distant sihouette background.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom