Nex zeiss 24mm 1.8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, though a bit spendy. Please let us know how it works out. BTW. I've have a chance to look at my images in more detail in Aperture, not just on the iPad, and they are quite a bit sharper than I had originally thought, especially after some minimal adjustments.
You can check some of them out at: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A35n8hH4nb74d
I was curious about one point you made about the problem with putting more glass in front of the 24mm. I had been taught with a new, quality lens to ALWAYS put a high quality UV filter on, if for no other reason to protect the lens. Is this SOP underwater? UV light, at the Violet end of the spectrum, should penetrate deeper than say, red or infrared so I had assumed it was reasonable. Obviously, the lens is already protected in the housing. Curious as to what others are doing.

The UV filter or C/U lens or color filters, etc. are a very bad idea underwater in many cases. Not because they won't help, (in some cases they will) but because in many cases they could hit the inside of the port being used. With the better ports like the Nauticam 65 made for the Olympus 60mm macro is with a mm or two of hitting the inside of the port glass. This is a good thing because when you add a wet C/U lens to the 67mm threads on the outside of the housiong the colser it is to the lens glass the greater the magnification you will get. It a lens is 10mm or so from the inside of the port glass you will get less magnification. So not all +5/+10 C/U lenses will give the same results with the same lens if the port is different. Also you don't realy need the protection of the UV inside the housing, if you have a flood the the UV filter won't help.

Phil Rudin

There is an adequate gap between the end of the 24mm Prime and the inside of the port so scratching the acrylic is not an issue. It will be a few days before I have the time to test the lens with the magnifying filters. I'll certainly take off the UV filter before I put one or more of them on. Again, will be interesting to see if they help or hurt.

Have a trip to the Hawaii Kona Coast in three weeks and two days (but who is counting!) and hopefully will have something worth criticizing then.

There is an adequate gap between the end of the 24mm Prime and the inside of the port so scratching the acrylic is not an issue. It will be a few days before I have the time to test the lens with the magnifying filters. I'll certainly take off the UV filter before I put one or more of them on. Again, will be interesting to see if they help or hurt.

Have a trip to the Hawaii Kona Coast in three weeks and two days (but who is counting!) and hopefully will have something worth criticizing then.

so any findings on the filters with the zeiss? im thinking of getting the zeiss lens to use in the 4.33" port i already have but the sigma 19mm is also tempting at its price point.

Back
Top Bottom