Nex 7 flash and shutter speed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlutzer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know if there is a way to shoot with a shutter speed faster than 160 when the flash is on or when using a strobe? I am assuming there is just a setting to change???

Thanks!!!
D

Unfortunately 160th is the Max shutter synce speed with the flash up, the only way I know of to get around it is to use an external flash which won't help in the housing unless someone makes a Ttl converter that will work with the Sony through the nauticam bulkhead. I believe this limitation is due to the flash not being fast enough to work at any faster speed. So even if firmware updated and allowed faster the flah would go of to late and trigger strobes too late. Hope someone makes a Ttl or if someone knows Knows one that will work please share

Bad news I know but hope it helps

Nooooooooo!!!!! Thanks for the post though. I will be using an external but as it is of course kicked off by the flash you still need to have the flash up I'm order to set it which means I'm stuck at 160. Good Bye inky black backgrounds and creative photography. Sigh.

Your choices are to add a Nikonos five pin bulkhead, $110.00 and wired cords if your strobes can use them. That will get you to at least 1/250th or maybe 1/320th using the strobes in manual.

Use ISO-100, 1/160th and high f/stop.

Go night diving.

Phil Rudin

Thanks for the info Phil, but how do you get the nex 7 to allow you to change the shutter speed past 1/160th? Once the flash pops up all the faster shutter speeds disapear. Is there a setting that needs to be changed?

PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-7220044.jpg

If you are shooting with the bulkhead connector you are using the hot shoe on the camera to fire the strobe(s) not the popup flash on the camera which is proprietary. Since your external strobe(s) are non-proprietary, (not Olympus made) they will sync higher than the Olympus made strobes, but not in TTL. They are limited by the movement of the shutter arcoss the cameras sensor. If you sync to high like around 1/500th you will see a black bar across the image frame which can not be removed. Shooting in manual rather than TTL is not as hard as you may think once you get the hang of it.

You choice would be the lowest ISO and highest F/stop you can use that gives good image quality and stay with the popup flash. You can always darken the background somewhat in Lightroom when processing.

This photo is full daylight in about 12 feet of water, ISO-200 (the low on the E-M5), 1/250th which is the high with the popup flash and F/16. About the same exposrue you would get at ISO-100, 1/160th and F/16.

Phil Rudin

Phil,

Once again awsome explanation, thanks!!!!!!!!!!! Totally clears that up for me. Im just about to pick up the nauticam housing with the 30mm mount using a ys-01. Should be a fun combo. Really appreciate all the info, it has made my life much easier!

Phil you should write a full manual on using the NEX7 for underwater photography!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom