NEX 5N in Nauticam NA-NEX5 Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js47

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know these cameras are ancient at this point, but does anyone know if the 5N can work with the 5 housing?

I know Nauticam made a separate housing for the 5N, as well as an adaptor to adapt the 5 housing for the 5N, but camera bodies look identical except for the placement of the playback button.

Anyway I figured I’d ask here before buying a few camera bodies in case anybody knows. Thanks in advance!

I’ll answer my own question — It works, sort of. You give up two things:

You cannot use the screen in tilty mode, and you cannot operate the playback button (since it is in a completely different location on the 5N compared with the 5).

Furthermore, you need to slightly modify the camera or the housing to put a tiny bit more space between the housing and the camera grip to make the scroll wheel work. I accomplished this by simply putting a few rubber bands into the housing as spacers, but eventually I will use a bit of foam tape.

Additionally, the on/off switch doesn’t turn super smoothly, but it does turn. I plan to keep the camera on for the entire dive using a shorter auto-off interval so this is not a problem for me, but worth mentioning.

B48440AB-9FC9-4717-9F4F-F7D72CB66750.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom