News- Deep Dive 650ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday I received a heads up that a dive was done to
220 meters or 650ft on rebreathers in Thailand while cave diving.
Time on the scrubber was 8hours.
Rebreathers were- Megalodon and Boris.
VR3’s were also used on the dive.

The site is incredible with temples, elephants, and is in mountainous terrain away from any real western support.

Congratulations gentleman,
Andrew

I didn't think you could get that much time on a Meg scrubber (much less since the rule of thirds would make you think that they would need 12 hour capacity)... were these specialty scrubbers?

man, rebreathers are the future for deep, I run numbers on deep dives and the amount of gases and crazyness that is involved justifies the RB costs when you get into the far end of the deep end.

Some day.. some day I'll win the lottery and I'll own one.

FIXXERVI6:
man, rebreathers are the future for deep, I run numbers on deep dives and the amount of gases and crazyness that is involved justifies the RB costs when you get into the far end of the deep end.

Some day.. some day I'll win the lottery and I'll own one.

Does that mean that you will purchase a RB for all swamp divers and pay for their training too? :D

amascuba:
Does that mean that you will purchase a RB for all swamp divers and pay for their training too? :D

If I hit it REAL big sure, so long as all the swampers agree that if they win before me they'll do the same!

It gets technical very quick.
But there is a relationship between depth, time, volume of gas, and a few other variables.
It was the standard large axial scrubber on the Meg. However ISC (the maker) is rumored to have the license to make the large CIS-Lunar radial scrubber and it will fit into their standard scrubber can.

In extreme diving like this- they compartmentalize the time and depth to how fast they use the scrubber. Most of the dive time will be in decompression and travel to and from the deepest part of the dive. Hanging on a deco stop, not doing much slows the gas velocity down and the scrubber lasts considerably longer. Great question though.

loosebits:
I didn't think you could get that much time on a Meg scrubber (much less since the rule of thirds would make you think that they would need 12 hour capacity)... were these specialty scrubbers?

Interesting. Obviosuly RB diving in caves, regardless of it being a "recreational" dive or a technical dive like this requires a whole set of considerations you don't have on OC such as how much bail out gas do you need, enough for each person to get out from max penetration or just for 1 diver out of three (would Murphy be sick enough to fail 2 out of 3 RB's at max penetration). Using a RB in a wreck seems a lot simpler (and safer) as it is practical for each person to carry his own bailout gas since the penetration distance will be measured in hundreds, not thousands of feet. Plus should you get trapped in the wreck, you've got a lot of time regardless of depth to get yourself out.

FIXXERVI6:
If I hit it REAL big sure, so long as all the swampers agree that if they win before me they'll do the same!

Not only that, but I would think some fun trip would be in order to break in the rebreather! :D

I theorize we'll all be using rebreathers in 10 years, no matter where we dive, when the cost is comparable to an OC rig. That's just the way technology works.

Ed

I think a skin diver said that in 1950: "I think we will all be on Aqualungs in ten years when the cost is comperable."

Still waiting on the cost part...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom