Newport, OR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swmarc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm heading to Newport for the weekend to visit with an old friend does anyone know if the dive shop in Newport is still open? I called their number and it has been disconnected. I really was looking forward to diving down there I heard it was some pretty good diving as well as crab :)

There's a place to get fills, but not much else that I'm aware of. The place is at the RV park/marina(?). Take a right, where you would have taken a left to get to the old shop and you will find it about 1/4 mile in..

Wow I guess it has been a while since I have been there. Do you know where the nearest actual scuba shop is? I need to rent some of my equipment.

In Salem, there are two dive shops for gear/fills. I'd recommend Salem Scuba at the moment. Hydrosports is in transition so I don't know the status of their rental gear.

With that said, it really isn't crabbing season in Oregon in the Spring. Many of the crabs have soft shells this time of year and as such aren't legal. Good luck if you decided to still go.

To be more exact on the air refills - the little store right next to the boat launch ramp at South Beach is the place. I get my tanks filled there. It isn't very far from where the old place was.

The crabbing has been rather bleak lately. A lot of females and smaller male dungies.

I second the recommendation for renting from Salem Scuba since it is on your way.

The vis here has been decent lately. Dove the fingers the past two weekends, OSU docks too.

Thanks for the advice everyone we ended up scrapping the diving and went mountain biking instead. Hopefully next time I am down there I will get the chance to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom