Newly diagnosed with MS tec diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leo53214

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Three weeks ago I was on an all-time high in life. I completed an awesome week of deep technical diving and completed my Advanced Trimix class. I dive for work, dive for fun and dive for vacation - my life has been all about diving for nearly the last ten years. I'm the kind of diver that goes a little nuts if I'm out of the water for more than a week. A month before class I had a full physical and passed everything with flying colors. I am currently prepping for a big technical dive expedition in July.

So a few days after I return from vacation/class my left foot goes numb. After contacting DAN and ruling that out I assume it is a pinched nerve as I've had some issues with that in the past. Five days later I lose feeling up to my groin. I go to the hospital thinking I'm going to be treated for a pinched nerve and end up in there four days and a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. To say I am completely blind-sided is an understatement.

The information out there on diving with MS is from one extreme to the other - everything I've read and asked doctors about say that diving will not negatively impact the MS, and MS "shouldn't" impact my diving. I feel confident that as my symptoms go away I will to return to normal diving as I always have; albeit while perusing consistent treatment.

Are there other divers out there that technical dive with this condition? Everything I read is about no-deco diving, diving with "helpers" (over my dead body), not getting too hot, not getting too cold, and the possibility of fatigue (which I haven't experienced at all until this current "attack".) I do understand that ms symptoms can mimic that of DCS so that is something to definitely be very aware of.

I guess what I'm asking is, does this have to be a death sentence for my tec diving life? Are there people that have had good, long term results tec diving with it? Is there any information out there? Any feedback would be welcomed. Today I tell the head of the coming expedition about this. Here's hoping the conversation doesn't end with a "sorry pal".

To start this off. I've met a tec diver dealing with ms. There's so many variables, once he stabilized and figured out what needed adapted his risk tolerance thresholds are letting him enjoy trimix dives. He had trouble convincing some dive boats, but otherwise is free underwater.

Hope some first hand replies follow this.

Cameron

I know a couple people with MS. The personal variables vary too much. My cousin has been stable for 20+ years and might need a cane at times. A friend of the family I have known for 25+ years was not diagnosed until less then 10 years ago. In less then 10 years has degraded from an active dancer to needing around the clock nursing.

The really short answer, keep diving. You will know when it is time to quit. Just don't be stuborn about it and know that the time will come. Maybe in a year, maybe in 40 years. If in doubt, just ask your doctor. He will know your condition best.

Back
Top Bottom