Newly certified AZ diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone!
I'm Chris, I'm a newly certified open water and computer nitrox diver. I just got back last night from San Carlos, MX. We had a great trip, did six boat dives, saw lots of life, had a great experience. A buddy and I are already planning another trip the 3rd week of Sept to get our advanced open water and deep diver certifications. I have ton's of questions about gear mainly such as what is the best computer to get, best all around wet suit, BCD, regulator, ect.

howdy and welcome from south florida.....get the big expensive stuff later, for now just get the personal stuff and dive dive dive.....

Chris,

Congrats and welcome to SB. There are pros and cons to pretty much everything, and these vary based upon one’s priorities/goals/preferences/current and future budget.

If you can connect to a local dive club or if there is a local shop that will allow you to try before you buy in a pool with no pressure, that would be a good option.

Equipment needs servicing, and if you are handy and would like to do this yourself, then that will also influence what may be “most right” for you.

You may want to peruse some of the equipment threads to help you research a bit before posting as the responses can be overwhelming at times.

Good luck and come on in, the water is fine (if you have good exposure protection).

Chris,

Diving with 72 Aquatics? On Ocean Spirit? I'm in Phoenix so know San Carlos some. We've chartered a boat and dove with Gary's also El Mar here in Mesa owns Piesquita. If you're ever up this way, the shop is worth a visit. Only a few minutes off I-10. They won't oversell you either - a dive friend of mine works there.

San Carlos being so far up in the Sea experiences tidal exchanges - both the viz at the temperature fluctuate some.
So a summer wetsuit is a 3mil, a winter wetsuit a 7mil or even a drysuit. We dove the hammerhead schooling once - mid-October - I was in a t-shirt/board shorts although it was cold below the thermocline - which also moves up/down seasonally.

If your regional dive plans include Lake Pleasant - it's cold most of the year as the water originates in the Coloado.

San Diego/La Jolla can also be cold most of the year. Better diving is when it's colder as it seems to kill some of hte algae.
I've seen 58 degrees there in fall, a layered 7mil almsost wasn't enough - it seemed even colder at depth.

I don't own a wetsuit so I'm not one to ask. My buddy likes Henderson - he also has a Tilos which has help up for years.

Hawaii is warm in the summer, cooler in winter. Many people dive 3mm shorties but that's because it's what the shops rent.

I believe 72Aquatics is an Aqualung and Atomic dealer - you can't go wrong with either for regs. Not the cheapest but very good quality.

All the Atomics breathe the same - the difference is in the materials used. 2 yr/300 dive service interval, I dive a T2 - br that a B1.

Aqualung is also good stuff. I'd prefer a Legend but the Core is better value for the money. Based on theTitan which has been around for decades so parts should be available for a long time.

Either brand sells for basically the same everywhere so it may be worth paying the sales tax to establish a local relationship - I do.

There's so many other brands that I'd find something you like and ask about it here - somebody has one.

Since you have to get it serviced every 1-2 years buy something that can be done locally. There's also mail options if you can wait a week or so but they're not much cheaper.

You might also browse scubatoys.com or leisurepro.com - I buy from both.

I'm not current on computers but like Suunto for rec. diving. The darling here is the Shearwater Perdix - it could be the last computer you need to buy. Not cheap though.

BC's are largely personal preference - after you've been diving a while they become more surface flotation than anything else.
I'm not a fan of jacket BCD's although they do work. Most shops rent them as they're less expensive and easy to configure as rentals.

I personally like/dive back-inflate - my choice is Zeagle which 72 seems to sell. I've owned a Ranger and a Stilletto - still dive the Ranger. They also sell travel models like the Covert which pack small to fit in luggage.

I see they also list Aqualung who make both jackets and back-inflate. I'm not a fan of their I3 Inflator since it overcomplicates a simple function IMO and locks you into their maintenance since they control the parts.

A third options is the backplate/wing - popular here with some divers. It consists of a wing, a (usually) metal backplate the tank bands bolt to and a harness of some sort. The advantage being that in some cases with a steel plate you need no extra weight. Which can also be added to the plate/pockets on theharness.

Either of the other bc's has inherent positive buoyancy - the foam, padding, jacket etc. so some of the weight you carry is to compensate for that. If you have a bp/w dealer nearby - it's worth a look. Being a metal plate with usually 2' straps - the tank doesn't move much so it's more stable in more technical situations - some people it's their primary bcd. I personally don't like the feel of the plate across my shoulders nor the weight in my luggage. Although my Ranger is no lightweight either but I bought it for comfort.

hth you get started...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom