Newly certified, 2 mistakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spector39

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
During a recent dive trip to Cozumel (my first SW diving after OW cert.) we were having a great dive on Santa Rosa wall. It was just about over and everyone was ascending to prepare for a safety stop. I'd been monitoring my air and knew I was low but not yet below 500 PSI. I figured I'd be in the water for no more than 4 minutes (3 min. safety stop and a minute or so longer to/from the stop,) so I wasn't too worried. I was at about 60 feet at this point. At the safety stop, I checked my gauge again and it was at less than 200 so I ascended. Without looking up! When I hit the surface, there was a dive boat no more than 20 feet from me with its engine running.

I believe I did (at least,) 2 things wrong. First, I should have immediately went to the stop at 500 PSI. But, it was like I wanted to see how low on air I could get it (I know, VERY stupid.) I knew I was only 15 feet from the surface so I never thought I was in any danger and I was overly confident. Really, it was just very poor judgment. Secondly, since I didn't look up, I could have easily surfaced into a spinning propeller.

While I don't think I was ever in mortal danger (unless I hit a prop, that is,) it was something I definitely learned from and hopefully will never repeat the mistakes.

Regarding going to your safety stop at 500psi - in my experience this is pushing things too far. I would plan to be back on the boat/shore with no less than 500psi indicated.

It is not a good idea to run your tanks too low. Many boats want people to come on board with at least 500. You really should be at your safety stop with 500 or more.

Hi. I am glad you are okay.
Time for some truth.
You said, "But, it was like I wanted to see how low on air I could get it (I know, VERY stupid.)"
That is beyond stupid. How low can you get? Completely out. This is never a goal. If you keep that type of thinking, you will be dead very soon and deserving of it, for being that purposely foolish.

You should hit surface with 500 left. That means start ascending at 750psi. You should be looking up and listening. Boats are very loud. you had to have heard it much earlier. Please work on your awareness in the water.

I hope you take this much more seriously in the future. Your dive could have gone south several times, and you were very lucky. Please be more careful in the future.

I agree. The charters I've been on have been specific about getting back on the boat with around 500psi. As long as you recognize that you did some things wrong and correct them, you'll remember to do them right the next time. Pushing the envelope imho is never a good idea...

The problem is you were at 60 ft with just a bit over 500 psi, not at the SS. My normal plan is to arrive at the SS with at least 500 psi which is enough to get me and my buddy through a SS and to the surface. 60 Ft with a little more than 500 psi and a good slow safe ascent to the SS puts you there with less than 400 psi and you are starting to push things a bit too much.

The boat 20 ft from you is another issue. You always need to be consciousness of your surroundings, especially as you approach the surface.

I would recommend purchasing an SMB (Surface Marker Buoy, commonly referred to as a "safety sausage") and hiring a divemaster to train you in shallow waters on how to use it. Villa Blanca Shallows is where I learned - max depth 25 ft.

Alternatively, I would recommend diving with a shop that has DMs that put up SMBs for their divers. Of course, this means relying on someone else for your safety, so I'd really recommend buying your own and learning how to properly use it.

Thanks for posting your experience. Oh and intentionally running low on air means you aren't being a responsible dive buddy. What happens if your buddy needs air and you can't provide it? That's not just being "VERY stupid", it's selfish. I'd recommend heading to your safety stop once you or your buddy hits 700 PSI, at least for the time being. Just my $0.02.

All good comments, thanks. I realize it was foolish to push the envelope. What's odd is, I'm not normally a risk taker but this time for some reason, I had a false sense of security and just made some bad decisions.
Hi. I am glad you are okay.
Time for some truth.
You said, "But, it was like I wanted to see how low on air I could get it (I know, VERY stupid.)"
That is beyond stupid. How low can you get? Completely out. This is never a goal....
I wasn't trying to run OOA, I just wanted to see how close I could get to it. For the thrill, I guess. Again, totally out of character for me.
I would recommend purchasing an SMB (Surface Marker Buoy, commonly referred to as a "safety sausage") and hiring a divemaster to train you in shallow waters on how to use it. Villa Blanca Shallows is where I learned - max depth 25 ft.....
Good idea. I’ve thought about getting one. The divemaster deployed his right before the safety stop. Unfortunately, I had drifted away from the group before the stop so when I surfaced I was about 30-40 feet away from the SMB. All the more reason to have my own!

All good comments, thanks. I realize it was foolish to push the envelope. What's odd is, I'm not normally a risk taker but this time for some reason, I had a false sense of security and just made some bad decisions.

I wasn't trying to run OOA, I just wanted to see how close I could get to it. For the thrill, I guess. Again, totally out of character for me.

Good idea. I’ve thought about getting one. The divemaster deployed his right before the safety stop. Unfortunately, I had drifted away from the group before the stop so when I surfaced I was about 30-40 feet away from the SMB. All the more reason to have my own!
Seeing how close you can come, is trying to run out of air. I hope it is out of character, or you will be in real trouble, real soon. For example- Is your equipment rental? when was it last serviced and how many uses has it had since then? If new, are you sure that your pressure gauge is not a little off? Meaning, I have seen gauges read 200 psi, and you actually have 10 psi..... So seeing how close, can run you flat out of air. Also, you go too low on pressure and that tank will need to be popped, cleaned, and re-inspected. So. I hope you have learned from this experience, I hope that you take away the advice given out here, and I hope you go on to be a great diver.

Wow, is all I can say. Looks like you need to take a refresher course of your new certification. I just completed the rescue training and I am currently in dive master training. Reading this is just a reminder that I need to be watching not only students but some of the newer divers a bit closer.

Back
Top Bottom